icon

Trunk Relay Assistance Needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Trav3D1 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

I have just installed a Prestige Platinum APS 996 in a 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis.  Everything is working just fine with the exception of the trunk release.  I hooked up a relay using the wiring detail in the installation manual, which indicated the following.

pin 86 - dark blue wire delayed 300mA pulsed of alarm, pin 85 - fused 12volt source, pin 87 - to the vehicle trunk release (purple / YELLOW) wire, and pins 87a and 30 - fused 12volt source since this vehicle circuit switches 12volts when the trunk button is pressed.

I did notice that the (purple / YELLOW) wire is unusually thick, which makes me believe that I cannot simple tap into the wire.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated.  Thanks

Trav
JMaxx93 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
it is a five wire trunk release meaning you cna't simply tap into the wire.  87a must go to the switch side of the purple / YELLOW and 30 to the actuator side of purple / YELLOW 85 & 87 get 12v and 86 gets the dark blue wire from the alarm.
JMaxx93 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you cut the purple / YELLOW wire completly also.  you might have assumed that but i didn't want to cause more confusion.
Trav3D1 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I will try this and see what happens
Trav
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Trunk Release PURPLE / YELLOW (+) HIGH IN DR. KICK PAN ON CON BRACKET * #232
* With OEM Keyless Entry, PURPLE / YELLOW Wire Rest At Chassis Ground, Should Be Wired As A Reversal Rest At Ground Circuit (Cut Wire, Switch Side To Pin #87A, Motor Side To Pin #30, 12VDC Constant To Pins #87 & 86, (-) Trunk Release Output From Alarm To Pin #85).
http://wiringinstructions.com/232.htm
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
webnetxpress 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

well, i just finished this on my 97 Crown Vic (did not have keyless OEM, just power locks)- if yours was the same as mine, you do NOT want to cut the purple / YELLOW, just tap into from 30 on the relay.  My Rattler 369D instructions and their tech support told me to cut it and wire one side to 87A and one to 30.  Alarm pulse to 85 and 12v+ to 87 & 86.  I did it this way, the remote would pop the trunk but now the dash mounted button would not.

I followed David's advice (Ace Security) and wired it per http://wiringinstructions.com/231.htm (I had to reconnect the purple / YELLOW that I had cut).  Now it works perfectly- both the remote and the button will pop the trunk.

I have no idea why DEI tech support tells you to cut the wire, all that I know is it wouldn't work that way...  Hope this may help since our cars are the same wiring...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic