Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
correct.....i just wasnt sure if this was what he was saying
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
That is exactly what I was getting at. I have made this argument so many times and been down this road all to often that sometimes I forget to make it as clear as it needs to be just because it is already so clear in my head.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Underpowering cannot harm a speaker.  Period.  Now if some idiot user tries to push an amplifier too hard and drives it into clipping, then the effective DC voltage being supplied to a speaker can, indeed, overheat the voice coil and damage it.  But that will happen only in cases where the power rating of the amp is close to or exceeds the rating of the speaker.  Even if an amplifier is in 100% clipped mode producing a straight DC signal, if the current it supplies is less than the current carrying capacity of the voice coil, the speaker will just sit there and get warm.  It is only when an amplifier can produce more current than the voice coil can handle that the amp can damage the speaker.  Period.  There is no other way.  That's how electricity works.

Distortion unto itself is not the problem.  Ask a guitar player what heppens when they send a distorted sound through their amps.  It just sounds distorted.  It is clipping that is dangerous.  That, and overpower.

Underpower = damaged speaker is complete BS.  I have been installing sound systems for more than 30 years.  I am a THX certified installer.  I design sound systems for a living.  In a professional system, loudpeakers are chosen that will handle 3X to 5X the amplifier RMS rating. This is called a safety factor.  It is standard procedure.

A speaker rated at 100 watts RMS will operate just fine on ANY lower power amplifier.  It will FRY if it gets too much more than 100 watts RMS.  This is basic electricity, and basic loudspeaker operating theory.  Anyone who preaches anything else is uninformed and may be simply trying to sell larger amplifiers.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
And one other thing, speaking of ignorance.  Input gains do not limit the output power of an amlifier.  They are designed to match the input sensitivity of the amp to the output voltage of whatever is driving them in order to get the best performance from the amp in a given setup.  No matter where a gain is set, the amplifier is still 100% capable of producing how ever much power it can produce.  To think anything else is, as you put it, ignorant.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
I totally agree about your comment on the gain control. Mabye the best way to treat the underpowering argument is that someone who doesnt know how to properly operate a car stereo would blow their speakers easier with to little power because they would try to get output out of the system that just isnt possible without damaging the speakers. I also would like to appologize for the iggnorant comment. Really bad day of dealing with stupid people, so sorry about that.
DYohn 
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

No problem, thanks for your comments, and I agree with you. 

I have always thought that the "underpower" myth came about because too many inexperienced (to use a more politically correct term) users purchase subs and amps that are too small for the amount of bass they think they want.  So, after a "standard" setup with their moderatly powered system fails to drive neighborhood gophers out from their burrows, they crank up the gain, drive the amp into clipping, and toast their voice coils.  The smart installer/sales person then says "You underpowered the system and blew your woofers.  You need a bigger amp."  And in effect they are right.  The user had too little power for what they WANTED, and mis-used their system.  So, the idea that is was the "underpower" that caused the damage begins, and grows.

In case you couldn't tell, this is a pet peeve of mine... sorry I jumped down your throat.

David

caraudionut 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

no that was exactly my thoughts...but to the in-experienced person or the newbie....reading that first post about "underpowering" was a little missleading....but now it is absolutely clear to all who may read this.

I have always thought that the "underpower" myth came about because too many inexperienced (to use a more politically correct term) users purchase subs and amps that are too small for the amount of bass they think they want.  So, after a "standard" setup with their moderatly powered system fails to drive neighborhood gophers out from their burrows, they crank up the gain, drive the amp into clipping, and toast their voice coils. 

you also forgot all the substandard equipment out there.....with big misleading manufacturer claims like a 2000 watt amp for $19.95........ that alone gets most  "inexperienced" users into a jam

I cant tell you how many amps and drivers i have replaced because of this.....dohhhh

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic