icon

'04 Accord + Viper alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spicytofu 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Forgive me, I'm a noob!  Got me a viper alarm installed in my 2004 Honda Accord EX.  I have 2 remotes (one from my honda key the other from viper).   I'm wondering if it's possible to program my honda key to activate the viper alarm.  All I want is one remote. 

Problem is, if i activate the viper alarm and then accidently press the unlock button on my honda key, the mofo goes off.  I can't shot off that alarm unless I put my key in the door, turn, and hold it (some guy showed me that after an embarassing 30 minutes at the mall parking lot!).  The guy also told me I have to deactivate the honda alarm that's built in (didn't know I had one, just thought it was keyless entry).

Any suggestions?  I just want to use my honda remote to activate everything (door locks, viper alarm, truck).  Can this be done?  I'll post my viper version later.  Thanks!

Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I think normally the aftermarket alarm takes over from the OEM stuff. You should not need to use the factory remote anymore if everything is hooked up correctly. For example, the Viper should provide door lock control (arm/disarm = lock/unlock). Does your Viper have an additional channel (extra button)? That should be usable for trunk release.
Did you install this yourself or have it done?
Spicytofu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
I had my alarm installed at a car installation place.  Yes, the Viper allows me to control everything.   I'm just wondering if it's possible to set up my honda key remote to activate my Viper alarm, without having to use the Viper remote.  It's just a little ackward for me to have 2 remotes.  Also, if I use the Viper remote and accidently press a button on my honda key remote, an alarm goes off.  Can't deactivate with the Viper alarm OR the honda key remote.  I have to put my key into the door key hole, turn the key and hold it to turn off the alarm.  A pain, I tell you hehe.
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Unless the Viper has a "disarm" input I don't see how you could achieve this. The OEM system can't possibly know that you have installed an aftermarket alarm...
If the Viper can be turned off through a input lead then you could connect that lead to the factory door lock relays.
There are a couple of other possibilities that come to mind:
1) Use a Constant To Momentary relay triggered from the factory door lock relays so that when you unlock the doors you momentarily disconnect power to the Viper brain. I don't what negative side effects this might have - the assumption is that if you disconnect and reconnect power to the alarm it will come up unarmed.
2) Buy a spare remote for the Viper. Open the remote, hook the guts of it to relays that are triggered by the OEM keyless entry relays. Put the whole thing in a little plastic box and hide it appropriately under the dash. Now when you use the OEM remote, that action will in effect "press the buttons" on this hidden Viper remote and arm/disarm with lock/unlock.
Not sure what is happening with the factory alarm going off after you use the Viper remote and then press the honda remote. I think you should have a chat with your installer about this behaviour. I would think that you would want to take over from the factory alarm, i.e. when the Viper is armed it disables the factory alarm. I don't know all the ramifications though.
Spicytofu 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, thanks Toru!  I'll take your advice and talk with my installer peeps.  Although I'm not that knowledged with alarm systems yet, here's my thoughts:

Possiblility #1 seems complicated.  To momentarily deactivate the Viper would defeat the purpose of having the thing activated.  Possibility #2 is the direction I wanna move towards (pressing the OEM remote will also deactivate the Viper system).  Kinda weird concept though.... so basically, I would use my "modified" OEM remote to activate the unlock option on another viper remote, which I would have to keep somewhere inside my car.

What do you think about this though.  Before I got the Viper, the installer mentioned that if I wanted to keep my OEM key remote to activate my alarm, I would have to buy the cheaper, older Hornet system.  If I wanted a separate alarm, go with the Viper.  Does this make sense?  If this is true, and it's possible to hook up an alarm system that could work with my OEM key remote, why can't I do the same with a Viper?

fredisfound 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 5:00 AM / IP Logged  
We do quite a few upgrade alarms that work with the original car remote,, and we use the hornet unit with great succes,(hornet is viper) but the new viper over here doesnt do it yet. we also use Vision, not sure if you get that over there? But it all works off the original remote...we have done 2004 fords with a few extra diodes and caps, they work a treat too.
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Well, there you go. Sounds like your installer and fredisfound agree.
Let me get this straight though:
Your installer gave you the option of using your factory remote, you declined that option, and now you want to do it anyway? '04 Accord + Viper alarm -- posted image.
Well, if fredisfound and your installer are right, then my option #2 may be what you have to do.
But I am not suggesting you modify your OEM remote. I am suggesting you modify a Viper remote - a new one.   This is not conceptually unlike the transponder bypass "coffins" wherein you have to put one of your transponder-equipped keys in a small box under the dash.
Ask your installer about option #2 - he may think you are crazy though, so tell him some nut on the internet suggested it. '04 Accord + Viper alarm -- posted image.
Spicytofu 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

Jeah, looks like i'm a nut too!  Before buying my alarm, I wanted to get a newer model (instead of the older Hornet).  I was satisfied with my setup until later when I felt it was inconvenient to carry around 2 remotes, my OEM key remote and the Viper remote.  This worsened with my original situation (story of activating the viper alarm and if I ever press the unlock option on my OEM key remote, the alarm goes off.  Can't stop it by pressing any remote, I have to put my key in the door and hold it to deactivate the alarm).

fredisfound or anybody>  You mentioned that the Viper doesn't work off the original remote "yet".  Do you think they'll ever be a method to do that?

Toru>  I do have a second Viper remote.  So basically, I would have to modify that remote to respond to my OEM remote, then hide it somewhere in my car?  Then, whenever I use my OEM remote, it would trigger that modified viper one?  This would still mean I would have to use another viper remote to activate my alarm though.

How about if I deactivate the OEM alarm in my car?  A guy told me to do this, but in some forums, I read that it's better to have both or just to have the Viper alarm.

kwalton 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so i have installed a few remote starts in these newer accord and have had to integrate with the factory alarm. it is possible to make the viper control the factory alarm with the viper remote therefore doing away with the factory remote. this would give you 2 alarms on the car. the factory arm and disarm wires are in the drivers door at the window switch. the colors are white and WHITE/ red i believe if i remember correctly. you can tie these in with the negative lock output on the alarm.
Spicytofu 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  

Interesting kwalton!  So if I use the Viper control, this would activate BOTH the factory and viper alarms at the same time?  That may be the direction I want to move towards.  However, sorry to continue to being a pain, but I still would prefer to use my factory key remote as the main controller for both the viper and factory alarm (thereby eliminating the need to carry a viper remote on my keychain).  Has anybody have experience with this?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic