icon

Amps, which way to go?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
powerstroke2000 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

First off, this is my first post, so I hope I'm not treading on ground already covered, but my attempts will be to add an amp to a Pioneer MP3 Premier 50x4 head unit, and possibly a couple of 8" subs.    This will be going into a mid '90's Ford Supercab pickup if that helps at all?

I've been watching Ebay for amps, and I'm thinking I will need a 4 channel amp, as I believe I would prefer to have additional power to all 4 speakers (which have been replaced just last week to the tune of $400.00+).    I'm thinking if they don't make them, a custom box of some sort will need to be made to put two 8" subs in to, to fit under the rear seat?  

My music tastes are more POP, some CW, a bit of dance now and again, and even the odd Mozart, so clearity is an issue as well.   As for AMP size (wattage) since I've never had an amp before, I'm not quite sure how much is not enough...and what wattage is too much?    I'm not looking at blowing my ears out, but one that can "rock" the music when needed.

I believe I'd rather spend a few extra dollars if that's what it takes, but I certainly don't want to break the bank either, so perhaps some advice on the higher end for an Amp...and what kind of money I might be looking at, and some makes/models of decent subs would be beneficial as well.

Thanks in advance, as it's much appreciated!  Amps, which way to go? -- posted image.

Dale

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
a very strait forward 50x4 amp is suffiecent to power most speakers out there. If you want something inexpensive you could use a kenwood 4 channel, or if you want something higher end you could get into a mtx or a Pheniox Gold. Dont forget that if you are running a set of eights you are gonna need an amp for them as well. I cant really suggest an amp to power the eights until I know which eights they are.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat has made a good point about the second amp. I would not be looking to e-bay for an amp either, it is too easy to get burned with no recourse at all. This just happened to another customer of mine on Friday. $180.00 repair bill for a e-bay amp. Buy local, buy from an authorized dealer, always. Another good basic 4 channel is the Eclipse es3422, Concept CA604, Lightning Audio B2.300.4. All these amps should be in your price range. A good 5 channel amp is the Eclipse PA5422, or Crossfire VR705D should you want to power all speakers from the amp. These amps will easily deliver all the power you need to run all 4 speakers and 2 8" subs. I used a 5 channel for years to run the same speaker set up without fail.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
powerstroke2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Ravendarat has made a good point about the second amp. I would not be looking to e-bay for an amp either, it is too easy to get burned with no recourse at all. This just happened to another customer of mine on Friday. $180.00 repair bill for a e-bay amp. Buy local, buy from an authorized dealer, always. Another good basic 4 channel is the Eclipse es3422, Concept CA604, Lightning Audio B2.300.4. All these amps should be in your price range. A good 5 channel amp is the Eclipse PA5422, or Crossfire VR705D should you want to power all speakers from the amp. These amps will easily deliver all the power you need to run all 4 speakers and 2 8" subs. I used a 5 channel for years to run the same speaker set up without fail.

Thanks alot.   Never thought about a 5 channel amp!

Most local vendors I've seen, want about $400. for a 400 watt amp, plus installation.   That is why I was thinking more of Ebay, thinking that perhaps I could find more of a top quality (perhaps even used) Phoenix Gold (or similar) for about half that cost perhaps?    I didn't realize that repairs on amps was so expensive.

Any, and all information such as this is quite valuable to me, in that this is a whole new area for me, of which I don't know alot about.   Are the other things I should pick up, such as wiring, fuses, fuse boxes or any other incidentals I may need, or just leave that up to whom I get to install it?    I did stop at one vendor, who also specializes in making custom boxes for subs, so perhaps I should just leave it up to them?

Thanks...great info!

Dale

soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Where are you located?
Soccer_aholicAmps, which way to go? -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Stay away from E-bay, you might just get burned today, there has got to be a better way........no warranty, was it stolen, does it work? E-bay is a prime dumping ground for equipment that does not work, look up the posts from Wayland about his cd player, bought used and it sounds like it has a bad pre-amp. Back to the topic. The dealer that builds custom boxes is your friend, he is probably the one who does the specialty work that you will require. He will also stock the proper wiring that you will need for the amp. I would leave it to them, their pricing is sometimes the same, sometimes a little higher, but what is a good job and proper advice really worth?
forbidden 
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden is located in Courtenay and Nanaimo, BC. I usually respond from the Courtenay location.
powerstroke2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in the suburbs of Vancouver..

Dale

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Nanaimo?  GO SLUGS!!
forbidden 
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I must be missing something, I opened a second location there but I certainly do not go there any too often, fill me in dude.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic