the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amps, which way to go?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

I spent a lot of time there in the 70's on a Nuclear Submarine.  We used to come up there to shoot torpedos.  There was a local soccer team called the Slugs (in honor of the rain forest fauna) and there was a bar band I spent many hors listening to as I sampled local liquid refreshments called Doug and the Slugs.

Nainamo is a cool little town as I recall.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
Well have things ever changed, Nanaimo is no longer a small town, it is a huge eyesore that takes forever to drive thru, the land of the strip mall and now bathtub races acroos the water to Vancouver. Doug and the Slugs are no longer around but they made it big as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
powerstroke2000 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Do all decent priced amps have the "crossover"?    I don't fully understand how this all works, but there is so much technical information on many of the higher priced amps, that it really doesn't make sense to me.

I do understand to look for a low distortion number, although some don't show this figure for some reason.

There are "new" amps on Ebay for sale, although I'm not sure how they are able to keep the price lower than most local vendors?    Do they just buy in bulk, to get a good deal, thus be able to sell on Ebay cheaper than vendors?

Thanks...

Dale

ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Most of the time the "new" amps are refurbs or discontinued models, in my opinion it's worth it to pay more for an amp from an authorized dealer. First of all you have someone local to go back to if there is a problem with the merchandise and second you are covered under the manufacturers warranty. If you buy something from ebay you almost always are buying something from someone who is not local and you don't know where you stand if it fry's on you. Trying to save a couple of bucks  can cost you a lot more in the long run than if you would have bought it from an authorized dealer. I'm not saying that ebay doesn't have it's uses but for something as important as your amp I would definitely stay away from buying it on ebay.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I agree, it is always better to buy equipment from an authorized dealer.  EBay is a great big flea market.  You can get some decent deals there, but don't expect to purchase something and then get warranty service should it break.  The only thing I recomend people to buy off eBay is used equipment from private individuals, not "new" from a large seller.  If you intend to get new equipment, buy it from a REAL dealer.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden just happens to be an authorized dealer in his neighbourhood.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
A crossover is built into almost all newer amps. It can be set to keep low frequencies from distorting your small speakers or keep the higher frequencys away from your sub. I thinkn forbidden has some good suggestions on what to get for  your amp. Try looking at any of JL Audio's 8" subs. They make some good speakers. You might want to also consider just buying a single high quality 10" sub from someone like Infinity, JL Audio, or Eclipse(Infinity Kappa, JL Audio W3v2 or W6v2, or an Eclipse Aluminum). This would still give you sq but you would get a lower frequency response(most 10" subs can play lower frequencys then an 8" sub).
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic