icon

reccomendation for a crossover

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

what would you reccomend for a crossover(s)...i have one four channel amp and two mono amps...the mono amps will be at different frequencies..one for 10s and one for a 15.  the amps have crossovers, but i imagine i can have better control with an external crossover...i am also considering an epicenter...probably for 10s?  not sure yet...i know i want one for the 160spl in dash meter, but im not sure which sub(s) to hook to...

that was a mouthfull!!!!  what are your suggestions?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Holy bad habits. If you are using a Epicenter it will affect only the 15's. I would recommend a Audio Control crossover, probably the 4XS to do the job. The epicenter is the first processor in the signal chain, it goes before all crossovers and equalizers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Wire the 4XS like this: reccomendation for a crossover -- posted image.
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

ahh...i like...just a simple x!

devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
ummmm?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
What do you hope to accomplish by running a 10 and a 15?
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
i want the 10s to hit the mid/low bass with clarity for rock etc, and i want the 15 for the ultra lows with rap, bass cds, etc. that rattle your eyeballs!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

OK, what you're looking for is something like the Audio Control DXS crossover.  This is a three-way digital Xover with 24db/octave slopes and some other interesting features.  You do not want the Epicenter for this application.

With a DXS (or a similar three-way crossover system like a JBL GT47X) you send it a stereo signal from a main pre-out off your head unit (the rear channels, for example.)  Use the low-pass output from the DXS set at, say, 80Hz to drive the amp you use for the 15.  Use the bandpass output (NOT the same as a bandpass enclosure!) from the DXS set between 80Hz and oh, say 250Hz to drive the amp for your 10.  Use the high-pass output from the DXS set to 250Hz to drive the amp for your rear channel main speakers.

Will this make much difference?  You will probably notice a better bass response in the bandpass frequencies since a 10" woofer will be much better between 80 and 250 Hz than most smaller main speakers.

devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
hummm...my only thing gripe about that is that i have 3 preouts and want to use them all for the fade, and sub contol...
DYohn 
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Use your front pre-outs for the front and rear for rear you have fade control.  Use your sub out to feed the DXS and don't use the high-pass output.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic