Marine audio application

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p4-33 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
First post, so please be kind. I'm putting together an audio system for an offshore powerboat, so my listening environment will be quite different than inside a car with a roof and windows. It is an open-air c**kpit with two bolster seats up front, and a bench seat in the rear. The face of this bench seat already holds a set 6x9's, and I will also mount 1 or 2 10" subs there. 2 more 6" or 6x9 2-ways will be mounted in the front corners of the c**kpit.
The existing 6x9's are Poly Planar 6900's, with a questionable rating of 400w. My guess is that is the max power rating FOR THE PAIR, meaning that they are probably good for 100 RMS each. I'm limited to waterproof speakers, so the new front speakers will likely be Poly Planar as well.
I've been looking at Memphis Audio's 16-ST1300D "Belle" amp, 75x4 @4ohm + 1000x1 @1ohmm, as well as Precision Power's PCX4125, 125x4 @4ohm. If I go with the PPI amp, I still need to decide on a separate sub amp.
Head unit requirements dictate wired-remote capability at a minimum, so that limits me to Sony, Kenwood, JBL, and Boss. mp3 capability is a must, so that narrows it down to Sony and Boss with the wired remotes.
I listen to mostly older rock-and-roll, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, etc, so if I have the terminology right, I'm shooting for Sound Quality. Big booming bass gives me a headache.
My challenge will be just being able to hear the music over the wind noise created by 80mph in my face, as well as humm of twin 500HP 502ci GM big blocks, which by the way, don't have a lick of muffling to them. ;^)
So, to the point, I would like to hear your opinions on the amps listed above (or others in the same $$ range). I also need to know how my charging system will keep up. I don't have any idea what kind of ampherage my alternators put out, but they are stock big block ones from Mercury Racing. Nominal current draw of a boat electrical system is pretty low at speed, so I'm hoping I have some overhead there. The only thing drawing current is my MSD ignition at about 6 amps, and guages, which can't be more than 1 amp. My batteries are Marine Die-Hards, with CCA of 900 amps or so. These are switched separately, so I'll only be drawing from one for the audio system for redundancy/safety factor.
I won't even ask if a capacitor is necessary. I've seen the posts.
I'm sure there are more things to discuss, but this should cover it for the first pass.
Any boaters out there with Killer Tunes?
Thanks,
Brian
Thanks,
Brian
p4-33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hee hee... he said c**kpit... gotta love bulletin board s/w.
Thanks,
Brian
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

MB Quart has a kicka$$ new Marine cd player, I got it in yesterday. It has a dedicated 30 second true anti skip circuit, audable low voltage indicator, UV protection and coated circuit boards as well as an optional wired remote control. This thing will spank all comers.

For an amp in a marine environment I would consider first one with a good warranty, say like 5 years from Planet Audio. The Belle is another kicka$$ amp to consider as well.

For speakers I would also highly recommend the MB Quart marine speakers, all are a true marine water resistant speaker unlike others that are moisture resistant. I'll post more later if needed, I've got a volleyball game in 15 minutes, gotta fly.

www.mbquart.com

Not sure if the new info is up there yet.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
p4-33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Rod, I saw the MB Quart NRA-450 receiver, is this the one? Looks like a nice piece. I like the big buffer anti-skip idea. I'm not that concerned about the head unit being waterproof, it will mount down in the cabin out of the weather, not in the c**kpit. Tee hee.
But this brings the wired remote into play. Did you buy the wired-remote option? What functions does it have? What does it look like. Can't find it online. Do you have a model number?
Thanks again
Thanks,
Brian
p4-33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hello? Anyone?
Thanks,
Brian
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry dude, I've been swamped all day, the remote is a wired remote, model# NRA MR1, cost is about $140 Canadian, Can't find out right now about features it will control, I'll post back with more info when I find out and have the time. More business in the first 3 days of this month than the entire month of January. It is white, round like a gauge, probably not on the site yet.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Usmc860222 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
You need to get some woofers in there, give it some bass.
Usmc860222 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
i for got to add dont get 10's they are small, get some 12's or 15's something like rockford power HX2's
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
If he wants 10" subs all he would need is one or two 10" eclipse aluminums. Two would give you more volume though. These would rock the boat but still have excellent sound quality.
Usmc860222 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
how do eclipse woofers sound anyway?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic