icon

JL audio 500/1 vs Rockford power bd1001

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
Which amp is more powerful, the 500/1, or the bd1001?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
The JL Audio 500/1 is 1.5 ohm stable, making it more versitle. It is rated at 500x1@1.5ohms - 4ohms (it will supply 500 watts at anywhere from 1.5 - 4 ohms).
The RF Power 1001bd is 2 ohm stable, and rated at 1000x1@2ohms and 500x1@4ohms.
So at 4ohms it appears that both amps will produce the same basic output. But at 2ohms the RF 1001bd will produce more power than the JL Audio 500/1 (but as I said earlier, the JL Audio 500/1 can go to a lower stable ohm load).
The main difference comes from what you are going to use the amp for. What subs are you considereing running with either amp? If you're still looking at a different amp for your 2 JL audio 15w6 subs, then neither should be considered (not powerful enough at the proper ohm load)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
macthestereoman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

jl 500/1 ive owned both still got the jl lower ohm load more power also the jl puts 500rms watts 2 all speakers u put on it

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
the JL 500/1 is a monoblock amp that will only put out 500 watts, regardless of how many speakers you have on it. Any subs that are attached will spilt the output (1 sub would get the full 500 watts, 2 subs would split it and receive apx 250 watts a piece, and so on). There are 2 channel outputs, but it's like the JBL BP series amps where the 2 channels are internally bridged (wired in parallel), so it's really the same channel (some companies do this for Mono amps to make sub wiring easier).
And the JL 500/1 is not more powerful than the RF 1001bd. The RF is a 1000 watt monoblock amp, the JL is a 500 watt mono block amp. The main advantage of the JL amp is the fact that it's 1.5 ohm stable, but that does not mean that it's more powerful.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
macthestereoman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
u know it all dude ill put my 500/1 up at ur pos jbl 
wvsquirrel 
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
ok newb, before you decide to mouth off on this forum first learn to type.
Second, learn what people actually run before "assuming" and making an ass out of yourself. I don't run a JBL amp, I run an RF 1000bd that I guarentee will produce more output @ 2 ohms than your 500/1. It's not a challenge, it's fact. I was using the channel wiring from the JBL BP series as a reference since most monoblock amps only have 1 set of terminals, not 2.
Third, I would put a JBL BP1200.1 against a JL 500/1 any day of the week. Not only at 1.5 ohms, but also at a 1 ohm total load and I'd watch the 500/1 fry. Hell, I'd even put a JBL BP600.1 up against a JL 500/1. The 500/1 has a lower THD rating (0.05% vs 0.1%) which means you'll get less distortion/cleaner sound out of the 500/1, but you'll be hard pressed to beat one of those 2 JBL BP amps as far as output power goes with just a JL 500/1.
This forum is here to help individuals (professionals and non-professionals) learn more about car audio. Don't blast what someone else has (or you think they have) because of the make. Maybe it's all they can afford, maybe it what they wanted from the beginning. It's called personal preference. We all voice our opinions/preferences here (and it's a good thing). But do it right and keep it constructive
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
But alot of people tell me that Rockford is mad really cheap these days, and they overheat all the time, they dont have built in fans and arent as powerful as they used to be.? Is this true?
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
i have also heard this about rf...which is a bummer because they used to make killer amps!
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
My stuff gets hot, but it hasnt gotten too hot, I cant supply a good response to this, although I am happy with the Fosgate amp.
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER K35 & K410 Speakers
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 1200W Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 800W 12" HE2
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
ROckford has made and still does make some killer amps, be carefull about the little rumours and lies that salespeople mention. An amp does not have to have a fan to be "good". An amp that overheats all the time is not being used properly or is being asked to do a job that it was not designed for or has had an improper installation.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic