icon

6 1/2'' speaker enclosure in door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 97 civic and I am, building an enclosure in my doors for my fosgate components.  The enclosure is only for the 6 1/2" speaker, not the tweater, and I am building it around the factory location.  The door panel already had an enslosure, with big gap in part of it for porting, but I had to cut away this enclosure because it was too shallow for my new speaker to fit in.  Should I make the enclosure sealed or ported.  Is it the same as with subs, where sealed will give you better SQ and ported will play louder.  I am interested in SQ primarily.
jugga-nemo 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest just using a 1/4 inch thick fiberboard because it is very easy to work with and seal it.  These are woofers (like subs) and 6 1/2 put out a higher frequency (which works better with a sealed box).
5.25" Components & 5x7 Coax Kappas w/Power Acoustik OV4-800
KAC 7252 powering 2 D3 8" Diamonds
KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
sealed.
amickracing 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
How do you know how big to make the enclosure? Can't say I've ever seen spec's for smaller speakers (probably just over looked them).
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Sealed is definatly the only way to go and as far as dpecs go, I dont think anyone includes specs for speakers like that. Have you ever tried to figure out the air space of a kickpod? Damn near impossible. Just try a pod and see how it sounds. I made three sets of door pods in my car before I got a set that were pointed and sized the way I wanted. Trial and Error is kinda tedious but gives you a few optons to choose from in the end
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with ravendarat...just remember...the larger the box...the deeper and slower the bass.
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
I am using the speaker for highs, not as a sub, and I do not have any specs for the enclosure size.  If I was less lazy I could probably find the parameters for this speaker and enter them into an enclosure calculator online, but oh well.  I've cut away part of my door around the normal speaker hole cut out to allow more room for the enclosure, which is part of my  door panel.  I've got all the framework done so now I've just gotta start glassin.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Read a post on Quarts website on this very subject. For what it's worth: Their speakers are optimized for infinite baffle mounting which is a standard car door. With the "Q" of their speakers a sealed enclosure would cause a huge reduction in m/b.
An enclosure behind door speakers can help or hurt. On the positive side: the speaker is more protected from moisture, the freq responce is more predictable and controllable and you can limit over-excursion. On the negative: more weight in the door, possible cutting of door supports and if the enclosure is wrong, poor performance! a few thoughts . . .
Good Luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic