icon

Possible wiring wrong on speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stampzinger 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed Some Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5's and 5X7's in my 95 ford flair side, and i think it could sound a little better than it does now. For my deck i got a Alpine 7892.Im not too sure if i got the positive and the negative right on the speakers, because of the orgional wiring i used. can you help me figure out the + and the - of the wires. thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Did you check this site for the link or check at www.installdr.com for the wiring color codes?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stampzinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Yea www.installdr.com showed completly different wires than what my truck had, i got some other diagram to go off o

f, i'll let you know how it does.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Remember that which wire is "supposed" to be + or - doesn't really matter as long as the connection is the same on all the speakers.  So if, for example, you used all the striped wires as the negative (which is generally correct in Fords) you'll be OK even if those wires are actually connected to all the positive speakers terminals.  Just as long as they are all the same you are OK.
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

Easy way to tell if you have the polarity correct on the speakers is to do a phase check. It's super simple.

1)Put your fader all the way to the front.

2)Put your balance to one side of the vehicle (it doesn't really matter which side)
3)Listen for the bass in the speaker.
4)Now, slowly balance it to the center - does most of the bass disappear? Does it sound shallow and weak compared to when it was on the one speaker?

If so, then you have a polairty problem, reverse the speaker leads on one of the speakers.

Repeat those steps for the rears as well.

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
stampzinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
wrencher_25- that sounds good i'll give it a try thanks.
Usmc860222 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
if your tight with anyone from a store like circuit city, abc warehouse, best buy talk to them, theyll give you the wiring diagram.
stampzinger 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

got it all working out, and it does sound alot better. All of thoes wiring diagrams didnt help me at all.what i did was used the speaker wire that came with my speakers and re-wired it with the new stuff.

thanks bob

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic