the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

too much power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Has anyone ever heard of an amp shutting down all audio before, even speakers that it doesn't control?!  Every now and then when the base hits hard, my system will go silent for a second (but not turn off or dim) then resume.  Could the bass actually be causing the CD in the head unit to skip?  I know that amps have protection circuitry now that is supposed to shut them off to keep them from frying (especially if the gains are too high), but that should only affect speakers directly run from that amp.  I'm running a Rockford Power 500bd if it helps.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
wut head unit are you using?  and wut subs?  it could probably cause the cd to skip ....a friend of mine had to replace his head unit cuz his rockfords were causing the cd to skip...  does it sound like the cd's skipping?
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  

Sony CDX-M610 Head Unit, 2 Pioneer 5.25" coaxial speakers (TS-A1365), 2 Pioneer 6x8 coaxial speakers (TS-A6867), 2 Rockford Fosgate RFP3412 HE subs (sealed enclosure), 1 Rockford Fosgate Power 500bd amp, 1 Kenwood KAC-649S amp, and a 1 farod ohm Rockford Fosgate cap.

The subs are wired in parallel, and are getting about 320 watts each.  It does sound like a CD skipping only because the mids and highs cut out completely as well, and there is no power loss to the amps or head unit.  The Power 500bd amp has a remote base feature that I use, and if I turn it down the disc doesn't skip.  The only problem with that is, naturally, I'm turning the bass down!  I'm just wondering what else it could be, or should I dish out the x-tra bucks and get a different HU

Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
J3adSeed 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
when you kick the head unit do you get the same thing?  if so the cd is skipping.  too much power? - Last Post -- posted image.
Johnnylaw 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

yeah man sounds like the CD is skippin.  A friend of mine had or has the same problem and he has an alpine CDA-7995 deck which is a pretty nice unit, but it still skips, So a better deck might fix it but maybe not.  The only other solution  (besides turning it down , and who the hell wants to do that?!) is to put a suspension system on the deck to help cancel out the bass vibration. Though I have never seen one, or met anyone who has one, or even met anyone who has seen one, I believe they are real.  It may be something you have to buid completely custom and unfortunately I wouldn't really even know where to start on a project like that. A good way to find out for sure if the bass is in fact causeing the skipping would be to:  1 - find a bass hit in a song that makes the CD skip.  2 - Pull the deck out of the dash but leave the harness plugged in,  hold the deck in your hands and play the part that normally makes the CD skip, if the CD won't skip when the deck is in your hands then it's probably the bass that is causeing the problem.

Good Luck

JohnnyLaw
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah..the head unit is the problem.  I have a Sony CDX-4000X and it does the same thing if the sub hits too hard...just some days more than others...too much power? - Last Post -- posted image.

DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah sony decks seem to skip with lots of bass.  your best bet is to spend more on a better deck ...get an alpine or a pioneer or something.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 14, 2002 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thx for the info.  I'd love to know what the deal with the Sony HU's are.  I put in another bass CD that hits harder and louder, but it wouldn't make the HU skip!  Sounds like sparkyssb called it right with "just some days more than others".  Sometimes it skips, sometimes it doesn't.  What's really wierd is it's not always the same freq. range that makes it skip!  When I get some x-tra cash, I'll probably invest in a nice alpine again

Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic