icon

thinned resin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deadguido 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
I'm expirimenting with thinning resin 50/50 or more with acetone to get deeper penetration into wood. I found that first, it never gels up when thinned this much. I also found that sometimes it doesn't cure. I think what happens is if it starts to cure while suspended in acetone that it goes bad and will never cure, but if it's applied in time for the acetone to evaporate that it'll cure fine no matter how much it's thinned. Is this right?
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
there are thinner resins out there that will soak into thicker fleece and trunkliner better. casting resin is a little bit more expensive, but it is thinner, and soaks very well.
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

Actually if you have ever brushed resin on with a paint bruch, and cleaned the brush in thinner, the brush gets clean but if you leave the thinner sitting the resin will cure at the bottom of the cup. So it just seperates, I would say you just need to make sure that your wood is not smooth.

Matt

sc2_ct 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using poly or epoxy resin?  For polyester resin, the best chemicals to thin the mix is Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.), Xylene, or a mix of the two.  I use a 50/50 mix of M.E.K and Xylene and add that to the resin base before adding the hardener (it takes a while to mix it up well).  Using this mix I have thinned the resin with 1 part resin to 9 parts thinner and gotten it thin enough that it fed through a cheap paint sprayer I had.  Of course, the phone rang and I forgot about the gun, so I had to throw it out (the mix hardened all throughout it).  It worked great while it lasted LOL.
deadguido 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using polyester, I found I can thin with acetone 50/50 and it sprays great through a cheap touch-up gun. Clean-up is easy too, but obviously you can't let it cure in the gun. A big fan, paint suit, hood and goggles are a necessity though. I have a huge fan so the first time I used only a respirator. All the hair on my arms stuck together and my eyes stung like mad.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic