Infinity Basslink in 03 Dodge Ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JaysOnTheEdge 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hello Everyone.

I have tried to search for the answer to my question but have have received mixed results. 

Heres what i am trying to accomplish.  My uncle has a 03 Dodge Ram Single Cab with the Infinity Sound System It has 7 speakers 2 in the door 2 in the rear panels, and 3 in the dash.  He's wanting to put an Infinity Basslink in the Truck while keeping all of the Stock System.  I have done a few install's myself so i am trying to help him out somewhat.

Questions?

1.  Will we tap into the speaker wire's to got o the Basslink before or after the Infinity Amp?

2.  The Instructions that came with the Basslink mention taping into all 4 channels if avaliable.  IS this really needed or can we get by with just tapping into the rear speaker signals?

3.  Can i tap into the turn-on lead on the stock infinity amp for the basslink turn-on (remote) wire?

4.  Which  wire's will i tap into and where woudl the best place to splice these wire at?

Here's The  Speaker wire's that i have found so far there was no polarity listed so i am thinking that the first wires are positive and the 2nd wire is neagitive.  please correct me if i am wrong.

LF Speaker  light GREEN/ red   and   GREEN/ green

RF Speaker light blue/purple and blue/black

LR Speaker WHITE/ Red and WHITE/ Black

RR Speaker Tan/Purple and Tan/Black 

Thank you everyone in Advance.

~Jason  

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

1.  After.

2.  You can use just the rear channels.

3.  Yes, assuming you can identify that wiore.  Use a voltmeter and test each wire by turning the key on and off and see which one powers up with the key.

4.  Assuming you mean speaker wires, splice anywhere that is readily accesable and can be easily hidden.

claude72 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

yes you can only stick-it to the rear next to the speackers, they said to the 4 speakers in case that you want to fade front and rear it will not fade the base-link!

and you don't need a wire for the turn-on remote cuz it will do it by it's self because it will feel the signal of the rear speaker, and when it got no signal it will go off after 5 min.

and to found out the -,+ i use a 9 volt bat. touch the 2 wire and with the + of the batery in the good side the  speaker will pop-out! that's the way i found!!!

i just install one in a ford f-150     pretty good

Claude B.
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
The Basslink is an amplified sub woofer so it doesn't matter whether you  tap in before or after the Infinity amp.
Harv
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

harvey1959 wrote:
The Basslink is an amplified sub woofer so it doesn't matter whether you  tap in before or after the Infinity amp.

Yes it does.  The speaker inputs on the Basslink system need a speaker level signal to function.  This means after the amp.  Before the amp the signal is line level.

harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, I'm thinking that the Basslink takes speaker and low level input whichever you wanted to use.   Unless I'm mistaken, no problem but I figure if it's speaker wires coming off the back of the radio, he can tap in to the speaker wires at the back of the radio.  Is line level the same as low level? (Rca jacks). If I';m mistaken again no problem. I'm hear to learn also.
Harv
DYohn 
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Harvey you are 100% correct, but since he is connecting it to an amplified factory system, he won't have any RCA's at the HU to use, so the easiest thing to do is use the speaker level signals after the amp.  That's what the original question asked.  Adapting OEM line-level wires to RCA's is a PAIN!
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Will the Basslink work with an already amplified signal?  Because hooking the BL after the amp you will be sending an amplified signal into another amplifier.  Sounds like a lot of noise waiting to happen.  Thats why I figured you could wire the Basslink before the factory amp using whatever speaker wire you wanted.
Harv
DYohn 
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
The Infinity Basslink system is designed to use either a line-level input from a pre amp OR a speaker level amplified signal from an amplifier.  In a factory system with external amplifiers, you CANNOT easily get to the line-level signal, which is what the head unit is sending to the amplifiers.  You have very easy access to the speaker-level signals, either at the speaker terminals or at the amplifier output.  This is the best, safest way to connect any aftermarket amplifiers, Basslink or not, to a factory system.  Yes it can be noisy.  But not as noisy as if you try to solder RCA cables into a factory wired line-level system and don't know EXACTLY how to do it before you start..
claude72 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

the base-link have a interface made for that!

if  you get connect to the speakers wires it will only take the signal from it with-out talking out some power from your speakers!!!!

it's built for that...

Claude B.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic