icon

Loud, whats its purpose?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ez_310 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

was just curious of the purpose function of the loud button on most and probably all Headunits....i know it changes the sound Quaity.I was told to have it off ...but on my alpine iva_c800 with the amps  gain 0.4 turned all the way down it sounds great clear and loud   high and mids are clear ...no distortion... but when  i set the loud  feature to off   it looses its power .,,,any comments  on it from you professionals'..maybe iam doin something  right or wrong ...my stereos so loud my ears ring  everytime i get in it sounds different..maybe its just me ,,,or the type of cd.....CD_R 's  iam useing recorded music sounds different from song to song...is allso true,,,the original mastered cd's

thanks EZ_310

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

good question, with it on on my pioneer it all sounds better, to me.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
In most cases, a "loudness" function is a combination of EQ with a bump around 1500 Hz since that is one of the frequencies our ears are especially sensitive to and a signal booster.  It can drive the deck's output into distorion sooner than it normally will as you turn up the volume.  You should leave it off when you set up your system or if you are tuning an EQ, but use it if you like what it does for every day listening.  That's why it's there, eh?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I leave mine off. I have an alpine CDM-9821 deck and I just leave it off because it makes my subs and speakers sound boomy and uncontrolled. When I have the loud on and the volume to about 12 or 15 it starts to sound really bad so I just leave it off (it starts doing what I mentioned above). Try turning your boost off and turning the bass control (not sub level if you have it) to about + 1 or so. I found this makes my bass about as loud and still keeps it under control and tight.
Usmc860222 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on the song, i have a bass song on my system right now and with the loud off its pure bass, but you hit loud and that thing hits so hard, my dampers on my my shocks are loose and they rattle with this song on.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

I play bass songs too and I can get my system to play just as loud by turning up the main volume control instead of using the loud button. It sounds better also. Your speakers are probobly going to distort if you turn the volume control more then 2/3 of the way with the loud button on. The loud button is really intended for boosting the different frequencies at low volumes. If you like it play it, I just think its not much help.

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
As stated in the previous post, the loud button is used to bost the lower frquencies at low volumes.  The purpose was to provide more energy to balance the sound at low volumes.  The bass/mids drivers are less effienct at 3-10 watts and require more juice to keep up to the tweeters.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic