icon

Sub Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

I am thinking about getting the eclipse aluminum 12's, two of them.  I am planning on running them off of a alpine m1000 amp, which puts out 1000wattsx1 @ 2 ohms.  So I plan on getting the single 4 ohm voice coil models, until I read on eclipse pdf spec sheet that the single 4 ohm voice coil subs are actually 3.1 ohms.  I know you have a little room to play with with your amps, and subs are never exactly what there rated at, but this would put like a 1.6  or 1.5 load on my amp.  Can the alpine handle this low of an ohm load, its designed to be 2 ohm stable.

specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Also, does anyone know the appropriate box volume for these subs.  I want good SQ and I know they need a sealed enclosure.
pioneer86 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
It would actually be a 1.55 ohm load on your amp.  If you already have the amp, then try it out and see if it works.  If you haven't already bought the amp, I would try for a 1 ohm stable amp just to be safe.  I believe JBL, MTX, and JL (just to name a few) all have 1 ohm stable amps.  My first guess would be, however, that the Alpine amp would hold that load of 1.55 ohms.  I wouldn't put money on it though.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't count on it. Just use JL's 1000/1. Its about as much as the Alpine and it puts out the same amount of power from 1.5 to 4 ohms. Its got an excellent damping factor also (how well it controls the movement of the cone).
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I wasn't around today until late tonight, nor was Bberman1, he would have jumped all over this. Buy the single voice coil models (from an authorized dealer) and hook them in a parallel circuit. It will rest at approximately 2 ohms. The amp that you have chosen should work fine with these subs. Build your box with 2 separate chambers, heavily braced and double thickness on the baffle board (where the speaker mounts). This is necessary as these subs have a habit of ripping right out of 3/4" mdf quite easy. The box volume can be between 1.1 - 1.25 cubic feet including driver displacement. This box will wail if is is built good and solid. If you need more info, post it up or PM me or Bberman1. I've got a road trip tomorrow afternoon / evening, so I may not have a chance to reply.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the posts, I have realized the single voice coil ones would work yesterday, and I plan on making the box out of 1" mdf in 2 separate chambers, with double thick baffle board, and the amps mounted to the back of the box.  I'm going to mount a thinner piece of mdf to cover the amps, so all you will see from the trunk side of the box is this second thinner board which will be covered in trunk liner.  I'll have the top be open for amp ventilation.  The subs will be firing forward in my '97 civic 4 door. 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Bam, bam, bam, man those subs will have bite.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
macthestereoman 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
youre amp will be able 2 handel the ohm load no subs or amps actually do exctally 2 ohms or 4 so just hook it up youll be fine

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic