icon

95 mustang wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lordliquid 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have the wiring harness, but both connectors dont fit. I am 100% sure I have the right harness, but I have the cassette AND CD player so there is an integration thing going on, with amps and signal transfer. Anywho, I just need to know which wires are which coming out of car so that I can cut the factory stuff and wire the 2nd part of the harness directly into the harness for the aftermarket HU. I've been looking all over the internet for someone with a diagram I can use tonight. I know I can go buy one, or find one tomorrow or next week, but I wanted to get this done tonight (it will probably be the only chance I get to spend enough time to do it for a while). Any help would be appreciated.
LordLiquid
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Chances are that you have an amplified system. Do not cut the harnesses no matter what. Do the two harnesses in the vehicle look close to the same or is one long and flat and the other small and rectangular with a metal case?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
first you do have the wrong harness, but you probally do have the amplified system. i would suggest just running new speaker wire to your four speakers due to the cost and hassle of trying to find install and find the amps to install a bypass cable.
Quad L Handyman services
SDmustang21 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

if it's the same stuff as i have on my 96 mustang you don't need to buy a "amp bypass" kit...or whatever which has gians and crap on it.  you can bypass the factory amp by just not putting the amp in the "loop"  i think there's a grey harness and a black harness that comes from the right side of all the wireing behind the radio...one has a couple of wires, thick...bout 14 or 16 gauge i think.  this is your power, dimmer, ground harness...and the other one is the speaker harness..i think it has like 8 wires on it...pretty thin,,bout 16 or 18...something like that..

these are all you need to hook up your aftermarket HU.

i just took out my radio and started pulling wires..this is how i came to aquire this knowlege.  i took out the radio and followed the wires and started taking them out...eventually i came to the factory amp which was located at the bottom of the hole behind the radio.  This is how i realized that the power and speaker wires go into the amp..then back to the head unit..then back down and up again..or something like that..but eventually it ends up having 2 similar harnesses going to the headunit that look just like the ones mentioned in the above paragraph.  These are the ones that make you spend a lot of uneccessary money on amp bypass harnesses.

So to recap..you want the harness that goes into the amp, before going into the radio.  Should be 2..one for power and the other for the speakers.  you can get harness kits for these at a local audio or radioshack type store.

Buy it, install it, play with it. Then take it back out, read the instructions, install it better!
lordliquid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, I do have the amplified system. One of the connectors is long and flat rectangle (gray) and fits into the harness I bought (70-1770). All the other connectors to both the cassette and CD player are black, fairly small, and square with metal on them; pin connectors. I found the wires behind the radio harnessed into the amp, (I guess.) They are connected just above a little blue box(which I am assuming is the amp: the only thing I can read off it is made in canada. heh) I will plug those in now and see if it works, I didn't want to mess with them before because I had no clue what they were, and I'm good at screwing stuff up. The only thing I am not understanding now is the fact that I am using wires that go into the amp...  Imma go try it anyway. Thanks for your help, I will let you know if it works.

LordLiquid
lordliquid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
SDmustang21 takes the cake. I DID have the correct harness, and he was correct, just yank the two back harnesses and bypass the amp that way. Worked perfect. Thanks a ton mustang.  
LordLiquid
SDmustang21 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

no problem...glad i was helpful..and i forgot to add before that the correct ones are regtagular flat pieces...black and a grey one i think...

The amp one's that you do not need when doin an aftermarket connection are square and look metal i think...these are the ones that go from the amp to the stock radio/and or cd player, which you will not use when doin an aftermarket HU install....unless you like payin extra for needless adapters/bypass harnesses!

Buy it, install it, play with it. Then take it back out, read the instructions, install it better!
lordliquid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Yup, the flat ones... I spotted them the first time I started digging around, but I wasnt for sure what they were. I assumed the square pin connectors were for the amp, too. NOW, mounting kit 101.... any teachers? I'm lost! ;)

LordLiquid
Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

Let me get a message out there to people who do bypass the Mustangs this way. One, this is proper way and should be done, but in caution. Only the basic amped systems can be done this way. The Mach 460 cannot be done this way as they have 3 amps not 1. Also, when you do bypass this way you have to check your front speakers at all times as Ford has reversed the negatives on most models.

Now as far as mounting the radio, use a snap in pocket,(Metra part# 88-00-9000 or 98-5999), on the bottom where the factory CD was, and use your radios DIN sleeve that came with the radio in the top hole. DIN sleeves are installed by putting them in the dash cavity and bending at least 4 of the metal tabs closest to the front of dash trim as possible to make it tight. Then slide the radio in and it will lock in place.

lordliquid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
heh, thanks for the info on the snap pocket, I was looking for one of those! I knew about the DIN cage, the unit was already installed. ;) And what do you mean check my front speakers at all times? What do I do to check them? I plugged it in and it worked, I would think if the negatives were reversed, I would have no sound out of them?
LordLiquid
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic