icon

Sentra headlight wiring!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bewb 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
{p}Forgive my ignorance here, but I really appreciate any help you guys can give me.  I did search and found some info but Im still confused.  {/p}{p}I'm planning to upgrade the headlight wiring on my Sentra because the stock wiring is WEAKsauce and and I'm using overwattage bulbs.  I know the basics from the Daniel Stern lighting site, my problem is in the selection of appropriate relays. {/p}{p}I know I want Bosch dual 87-pin (5 pin), but I'm not sure if I need a SPST or SPDT.  The reason for using the dual 87 is so I can send power to both headlights.  I'll use one relay for lowbeam and one for highbeam.  {/p}{p}I'm also confused in the tutorial where he's talking about common Japanese "ground switched" headlight systems.  "  {SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}{EM}It is tempting to run the existing headlamp feed wire to relay terminal 86 (trigger feed) and simply find a convenient ground for relay terminal 85 (trigger ground). However, this will not work with ground-switched systems. Run the vehicle's existing feed wire to terminal 86, and run the vehicle's existing ground wire to terminal85{/EM}. "{/SPAN}{/p}{p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}{/SPAN} {/p}{p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}If I do this won't I be negating the advantages of the better power wiring because I'll have to use the crappy stock ground wires?  I don't know if my system is ground switched or not, I don't think it is.  {/SPAN}{/p}{p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}{/SPAN} {/p}{p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}Anyway, I really appreciate any info you folks might have on which relay I need and {strong}{U}where I can find it{/U}{/strong}!!! thanks!{/SPAN}{/p}{p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: inherit; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}Matt{/SPAN}{/p}
Please do not copy and paste from a rich text editor like Microsoft Word. Please copy and paste from a plain text editor like Notepad.
terryr 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  

85 and 86 only turn the relays on. 30 and 87 will still be used to power the lights with heavy wire.

I just used the Stern wiring on my Ford. I used one relay for both low and one for the high. Worked great.  People used to say 'are your headlights on?'

bewb 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

Ok that makes sense, I see how the headlights themselves are grounded to the chassis.  85 is just a low power ground for the relay, or for signal on ground switching systems. 

Terryr where did you find the Bosch Dual 87-pin relays? 

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
Do you mean DPST or DPDT relay?
Also if your headlights are grounded, then they are +ve switched.
terryr 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't use dual 87s. I used the standard bosch 5 pin relay. Power goes from the 87 to one headlight, then the other, using thick wires. If you're worried use two wires from 87.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
You're right. the lamps dont need 2 relays. Besides I need to find out where I can get a dual pole relay. Do you know by any chance? I mean a relay that has two switches (dpst or dpdt) thanks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic