icon

Speakers Cutting Out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbjohn22jb 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a high current amp, two twelves and a cap. I thought that my amp was cutting out due to not having enough power going to it, so I just bought another cap. Well, I was screwing around with the subs yesterday and found that when I open my hatch, the subs don't cut out at full bass. But when the hatch is closed I can only adjust my bass to maybe a 1/4 from the bottom setting if that. I realize that having the subs facing up is not giving the sound waves anywhere to go. Just curious if anyone has encountered this problem and aside from facing them forward is there any fixing this? They are in a sealed box. Should I put them in ported box instead? Does it matter?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
the direction of your subs should not have anything to do with them cutting out. you need to specify your problem with the amp more, does it stay on and the sound cuts out or does the entire amp cut out. you need to figure out if it is a lack of power from the alt. or too large a load from your subs. it may even be a loose wire.
Quad L Handyman services
jbjohn22jb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is running fine. The amp doesn't cut out at all. It's the subs. They cut out when the hatch is closed and they don't cut out when the hatch is open. I thought it was the amp at first, but after toying with it yesterday I found that they work ok when hatch is open. Sorry for the confusion.
Patpjrick 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
could be a bad ground if you have the ground wire attached to your hatch someplace....maybe even the hatch latch. im not sure where you have the cap grounded tho
Prophit 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a crx 89 and i have my grouned to the spare tire well.. works great.. i would use a new ground cause that what it sounds like.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Check the wiring for the subs. Is it being shorted out or to ground because the hatch is moving? Also check to make sure you have them wired in phase. Changing the box design isn't the answer. Different box designs require different sizes and its vital to how well subs perform or survive that the box is properly designed. CRX's have a great natural effect upon boosting bass if the subs are fired upwards at the hatch. Recheck your wiring for loose or defective connections. Make sure that the problem isn't your amp either shutting down or going into protection mode. Watch the amp's power LED for any changes.
sparky
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
I suppose it's possible that with your hatch closed the subs can't move because of the pressure created within the trunk area during the hit of the sub. This would lead to your subs not moving, and increase in resistance which would generate heat and could possibly fry your subs. This is in extreme case senario. I would think it's possible however. Try drilling a small "Air" hole in the trunk somewhere, where air can actually flow well from. The 2nd extreme would be the back pressure within the trunk could be increasing the resistance slightly enough to kick the amps protection on before the subs would even get  a chance to fire. Like I said these are extreme case scenarios. I would check for shorts anywhere.
elpuma817 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Man, just get rid of your hatch...then it will work all the time, right?
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
after reading all the above, seems like a ground wire is not grounded well.
jbjohn22jb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
 I received alot of help on this earlier in the month which I am greatful for, but now I have another issue about this. ___ I just learned that when I play the tuner, I can go as loud as I want. Bass setting can go wherever I want it. But when I play a cd, I can only adjust the bass to maybe 1/4 on the remote bass control and put the head unit volume at about half. Before, I thought the issue was that the subs were pointing up towards my hatch and the subs didn't have anywhere to send the sound so the subs were cutting out, now I have them pointing forward towards the seats. I talked to someone about this and they said that since cd bass hits harder than the radio that maybe the head unit was vibrating and causing the disc to skip. Makes sense. Is there a way to eliminate that? Like I said, I can play the radio loud and it the bass sounds awesome. Its just the cd that makes it cut out. It is not a ground issue. I have checked the amp and it is not going into protection. The light on the bass remote dims and changes color, but I think that is just showing the intensity of the bass. Anyone with info? Thanks.
"I'm only doin' this for ya because I heard that Buffalo Bob guy shoved a road flare up yer bunghole...."
Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic