icon

What wiring/accessories do I need for my

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crazy_canuck999 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, here's the install I'm hopefully doing next weekend, and would like to get everything I need this week.  The car is a 1990 5.0L Mustang.  I'm putting in my 2 10" DVC Pioneer IMPP's which will be powered by my Clarion APX401.2 amp.  I already have Clarion 5x7's put in the back.  For the front doors I'm putting in a set of JL VR-series 5.25" components.  I want to power them with my Rockford punch 150a2 amp.  So far on my list to get is a 4-gauge wiring kit.  What other pieces do I need to do this install (not sure what I need to wire 2 amps properly, and if I'll need a cap, etc.).  I guess another important question is, will all this stuff work fine with eachother?
ant@unigoal 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I would start out with a 4 Ga amp kit and get a fit kit for the radio unless it already has one. You'll need a wiring harness if you still have the factory radio. I would get a double fuse holder for your set up and a 1/2 farad cap if you don't want to kill batteries and alternators. Get a spool of 16 Ga speaker wire so you can run the wires to the front for mids and tweets. determine where you going to mount your amps and try and figure out where your going to mount the rest of this. You can build an amp rack for the back area behind the back seat but that would make everything visible from the back glass and theives love an easy job. your fit kit will have 4 holes (one on ea corner) I woudl also get a grounding block so you can have everything ran into one unit then out to your ground. you may get a few extra feet of black 8 ga ground wire so you can run them from the amp to the block. All the brand you named are good and should make a hell of a system if and when it's installed. Good Luck.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

You should buy a dual amp wiring kit like this one. This kit donsn't come with any rca cables so if you need some use a good brand like Stinger or Streetwires. Make sure you use good quality speaker wire also, and if you're replacing the radio with an aftermarket one then you should consider buying a wiring harness and mounting bracket that is designed for your car. If you are not replacing the factory head-unit then you will need an LOC and at least some rca splitters. Ask if you need more help. This page or free online video should help if you have any questions on installing the amp. They also have free videos for installing head-units and speakers

crazy_canuck999 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, I forgot to mention, it already has an aftermarket deck, and I still want to run the rear 5x7's off the deck.
crazy_canuck999 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
I bought this stuff for the install so far :
[1] http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/amplifier/AKPA-41.asp
[1] http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/power/P48FDG.asp
Is speaker wire all I need now, or do I need the 8-gauge wire as well for the output of the distributor block?  Also, what would be a better amp for my speakers, Rockford punch 150a2 2-channel powering just the fronts, or Kenwood KAC-649S 4-channel powering them all?
ant@unigoal 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest using the 8 ga from the blocks to your amps, and use the kenwood 4 channel for your mids and tweets that way each speaker get's it's own channel to work off of. Use 16 ga speaker wire or thicker.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Guys, I owe this fellow an apology, I have conversed with him on another forum (MR2NR  - Canadian Car Audio) and have not been able to look after him properly. For those on this site that know me and my replies, I'm sure you have seen my replies dwindle in the last week. Any customer is a valued customer and I have let him down. I'm glad to hear that he has bought some good wire, not from me even though he is very close to me and that his questions are being answered from good people on multiple sites. I have sent him a PM as well stating that I will stay late tonight to try and answer the balance of questions. Again my apologies to him.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
crazy_canuck999 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Guys, I owe this fellow an apology, I have conversed with him on another forum (MR2NR  - Canadian Car Audio) and have not been able to look after him properly. For those on this site that know me and my replies, I'm sure you have seen my replies dwindle in the last week. Any customer is a valued customer and I have let him down. I'm glad to hear that he has bought some good wire, not from me even though he is very close to me and that his questions are being answered from good people on multiple sites. I have sent him a PM as well stating that I will stay late tonight to try and answer the balance of questions. Again my apologies to him.

It's definately not a problem, you have a store to run on your own time, I think anyone can understand that.  I'm still going to be looking at 3 other local places on friday for wiring and accessories to see if there might be better prices, I haven't opened the packaging on the 2 items so I can take it back if there's a better deal, I was just at the place getting a car alarm, and got the wiring kit + distro block too since I'm not there often and decided to pick up stuff that I was gonna need sometime in the future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic