Central Locking Actuators Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I tried install an aftermarket power door lock kit I got off ebay on sister's 89 camry.  After tackling this for 5 hours I gave up and took everything out of the car. This is a 2 door central locking type system with 2 five wire actuators.  I figured I could at least the two front doors working properly and then just use 2 two wire actuators for the back and just tap the wires from the front.  

Anyway, here is the problem I was having with it.  Since this is a central locking system if you lock or unlock one door the other should follow.....but in my case, as soon as i locked either door the other door would lock and they both would unlock.  I even tried disconecting one of the 5 wire ones and using a 2 wire..same thing.   Seems like a polarity problem to me.  It just kept reversing and then resting at the unlock point.  I tried reversing the output wires and it still did the same thing.  My guess is the brain might be screwed up.  But i'd really like to know what you more seasoned guys think about this. 

The car I'm gonna be installing this on I'm also going to be installing a black widow BW2150 (or maybe something from DEI) alarm system as well.  I already have 4 two wire actuators, would it be better to just do a 2 relay setup and use the door lock output from the alarm? I've read where this might be easier to deal with in the long run.  My sister is also requesting that there be an lock/unlock button for the locks put in it as well. 

Thanks in advance

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Central Locking Actuators Question - Last Post -- posted image.
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the control module is fine, but your adjustment of the actuator's throw is not. Central locking works because there are switches in the actuators. If you do not adjust the actuator so that half of the throw length coincides with the midpoint of the mechanical locks between unlock and lock, they'll behave just like you explained. That's kind of hard to put into words...
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

Are they not supposed to completely extend?  I had them setup so the actuators would fully extend and retract.  Could it be they were retracting back too far?   From what you're saying, that may of been where I made the mistake. 

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Central Locking Actuators Question - Last Post -- posted image.
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
No, they usually do not extend all the way. In your case, it sound like you have them extended so much that when they actually retract that they hit the next contact on the internal switch and are commanded again. Work on the adjustment and all should be fine. Don't be discouraged, this is a common mistake with central locking system installs.
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
I'll give another go this weekend. Should i mount and secure the actuator to the car first and then setup the linkage? Because I setup the linkage first and then i secured it to the door.   Which may have been part of my problem.
Duane...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic