Question about adding horn output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zoomy821 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
    I just recently purchased an OEM GM alarm keyless entry system for my 97 Blazer. It has everything I want except for a horn output to sound the horn when you arm/disarm the alarm. I seen the digram on here where you use a relay and a flasher off the light flash output and I can do that pretty easily. But my question is this....why do you need a flasher? I mean, the brain sends a pulse signal to flash the lights, so couldn't you just use the relay and the same signal would pulse the relay? Is this a stupid question....or am I just missing something here? It will be no problem using a flasher and a relay because I purchased them both today at my local Advanced auto parts store, but I was just curious about this.
Bendog 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
the purpose for the relay is to power both of them the headlight and horn because the ouput on the wire is not enough for both so the relay takes care of that. if you dont use the relay you will damage the device.
JakeJ 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
   Just the relays should work. The parking light flash output should power a relay for lights and power a second relay for horn. The horn wire should be neg and the parking light should be pos. You need a relay for each because they need to be isolated from each other and are diferent polaritys.
Wyoming 12volt Enthusiast
Zoomy821 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
Reply to Bendog....it shows in the diagram that the main wire from the brain is powering the siren....then you tap into that wire and wire in a relay.....then wire a flasher to the relay and then wire to the lights(in my case a horn)...I still don't see the purpose of the flasher if the brain is already sending a pulse signal to the lights and relay at the same time. I know...maybe because in the diagram they are going off of the siren output which is a constant power when activated...so i'm guessing that thats why you have to use the flasher...so the horn isn't blaring constantly. Huh...guess I answered my own question. Duh!
Well anyways...can I use the light flash output from the brain to power a relay to honk the horn? And if so...do I need a flasher for that? And do I only need one relay or two?    
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Try honking the horn for as long as the light flash out put is activated... remember two flashes on unlock.

I think you'll find the light flash pulses are too long to be used as horn honk pulses.

Perhaps the flasher relay shortens the length of the pulse going tot he horn ?

sufferrar 
Copper - Posts: 190
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
dreek123 is right . the flasher relay shortens the length of the pulse going to the horn . without the relay the horn pulse would be too disturbing when arming and disarming.
"I'm So Loud It Hertz"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic