icon

need help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
heys guys, i have a audiobahn awt15X sub in a 5 cube box, the ports are on the top of the box going through the 6x9's holes, there are no port tubes, just 2 sqaure cut out holes, i hooked the sub up to a MA audio hc2502 amplifier, it;s rated at  1200 rms at 1 ohm, we had the amp hooked up to 3 punch HX2's, and it pouded real loud, then when we hooked it up to my audiobahn, the sub was barely moving, and there was hardly any bass, is just rattled a lot, mostly becase i have the box on bare steal, but aside form that, there was hardly anybass, and i had the amp hooked up for a 1 ohm load??? can anyone help me with the problem, some people are telling me my box is to big, and some are saying the sub is blown,
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check to make sure the sub is wired properly, meaning did you wire the voice coils properly? The box will make or break the oputput of the sub, where did the design come from?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
ya, i had it hooke dup to 1ohm,  some body i knew built the box for me
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
i had a 700 watt pioneer on it before, and i know thats way nder powering it, so do you think that could have blown from underpowering, i only had it on there for a bout a week
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Did you accidentaly wire the subs voice coils in parallel but out of phase? I am leaning towards the box as the culprit but it would be a good idea to check the sub. Did the sub work good with the Pioneer on it before and can it be hooked up again?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

the pioneer was hooked up to it in a different box, and it was actaully probably a bit louder, the subs has barely been used yet, i only had maybe, half an hour playing time on it, we turned it right up with the HC2502, and it was barely moving,

97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
do you think maybe becase there are no port tubes in the box, just holes,?
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

anybody else????

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
no port tubes could definitely be your problem. The tubes are cut to specific lengths allowing for you to "tune" the box to a specific frequency range. If you're using a ported box with no tubes, then you're not going to get good response at all. So you're basically running an over-sized sealed enclosure with major air leaks in the chambers. My advice is to go to your local stereo shop and get some ports to complete the box. Either that or switch to a completely sealed enclosure (my preference).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
this sub can;t play in sealed, so i will see if i can get it done, thanks,
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic