icon

Stereo Turning itself off?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fender2martin 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

Well i used to run an old Clarion CD Deck... i ran into some problems with it just turning itself off randomly.  I wasnt sure of the problem but not long after i baught a new Sony Deck.  Had it installed professionally (Best Buy LOL) and everything seemed fine for a few weeks.  Now im getting the same problem i had with the Clarion.  The unit just turns itself off.  However, before it would turn off at any time, now it seems to turn itself off when i touch a button.  When i change any setting (Fm Station, Volume, ect) it turns itself off.  I have also found that it ONLY does this when i start the car... if i touch it within 5 min of starting the car it will turn off.. if i wait a bit after starting the car it runs perfectly fine.  Any ideas on how i can fix this?!?

Here is some info on the car/deck if it will help.

1999 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab
Sony CDX-L410X is the New Deck
if you ned more info let me know!

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
You need to place a volt meter across the power and ground wires for the radio. Simply determine which one is dropping out. Check for bad connections behind the radio. The new radio was probably wired into the same radio wiring as the previous one was and just inherited the old problem. Wiggle the fuses for the radio's ignition and battery power in the fuse box. I've seen the contacts in the fuse panels spread out and make intermittent contact to the fuses. You may have to run new wires from the fuse panel to the radio to fix the problem. Check that the ground for the radio is good and solid. Chrysler's use a ground strap to the chassis for ground.
sparky
Fender2martin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

i havnt pulled it out and checked the wires... but heres a new development... basically everytime i apply pressure onto the faceplate it turns itself off..... any ideas?

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like a ground prob., sparkie mentioned the ground strap used by Chrysler/Dodge, in which I have ran across many problems with, what I used to do is cancel out the ground strap and run my own, If you look in the dash, there will be a metal chassis, find a spot and ground it there, I think that would be a good start, and while you have the deck out, like sparky said, put a voltmeter on your +12V and switched power to see if any of those are dropping out, if so, then go to the fuses and check contacts, or if there is any build up on the fuses, I have actually seen cases with vehicles where people smoked in them and after time, it creates a nicotine build up on fuses, where all you have to do is clean the contacts or replace the fuse and the problem is solved!! Funny, I didn't believe it till I saw it!!

Fender2martin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks... ill have the check out the gound thing when i get home tonight... thanks for the help!
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Sound like a voltage issue with you car not the install.
Cris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic