icon

Blown L7 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

ok i have a kicker L7 12" sub and the other day it blew for some reason i know im not puttin to many watts to it b/c i only have a 600w amp... but i have a 2cuft sealed box and i had it like supersealed to where no air was allowed to get out at all could this have caused the sub to blow???.... btw when i took the sub out of the box it was smoking horribly and when i tryed 2 play it it sounded like the coils came off of the cone somehow what could have caused this and is this covered under warranty?...

p.s. it was a factory refurbished sub

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
factory refurbished...first mistake. These are usually QC'd harder than the original assembly, but they can still be weakened from the original flaw.
2 cu. ft. for a sealed enclosure! That seems way to large IMO for sealed. In fact, it's the Maximum suggested value by Kicker. .88 cu. ft. is the minimum recommended by them for that model. With sealed enclosures, bigger is not better. I'd say redesign the box for about 1.25 cu. ft. internal volume. And yes, too large of a sealed enclosure can damage a sub.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
wow...... i had never heard that before....well i planed on porting it real soon like as soon as i figure out how and where to put it.....so should it be covered by warranty... either by kicker or by the site i bought it from... (discountave.net)??
brad123 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
contact discountave, if not talk to kicker.  Usually the refurbs only have a 90 day warranty.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

thats good... ive only had the sub for a little over a month i got it on the 6th of last month

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a link to your L7 Tech Manual
It has some detailed information in it on proper enclosure sizes and types for the L7's
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
i read that 2.... i got that w/ the sub... ihave it filled alot w/polyfill i think imma take a bunch out

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic