icon

leaving fiberglass over masking tape

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so i used the masking tape to get the proper contour when I am joining the gauge bezel I made to my dash... Do i have to put a release agent (tinfoil, pam, etc) overtop of the tape, or can i just let the fiberglass stick to the tape and leave it there... it makes sense that I could just leave the tape.. it wont look as nice but who cares once i cover it up with more mat and paint it.
I am wondering because i have never seen anyone just leave the masking tape on the fiberglass....
JakeJ 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
As long as You can get the piece back out after the resin cures, I don't see why not. Resin stuck to tape, tape stuck to dash. I have not done very much fiberglass work so I am not an expert. Good Luck!!
Wyoming 12volt Enthusiast
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
well the fiberglass will be completely cover the tape... I guess the best way to describe what I am doing would be, say I had a dash with a hole for a 4" speaker, could I just put masking tape over the hole, then put a layer of mat over the tape and rest of the dash. So the resin wouldnt adhere to anything where the tape is, but the same layer would adhere to the rest of the dash.
JakeJ 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

If the glass is going to be permanent have you thought about not using any tape?  Fiberglass matt would span a hole.  If there is some reason it is necesary try to use as little as posible to insure a good bond to the serface.

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

not having a strong enough bond is not what I am worried about, I am worried that leaving the tape on there will cause a problem. I cant just put the mat over the whole with nothing behind it because of the fact that fiberglass is air inhibited.. I have tried to fiberglass over air before and it doesnt work that well at all. It is just like having one giant air bubble.

I jsut see everyone always putting down the tape, then putting down tinfoil, then putting down mat...  I understand why you would want to do that if you need to remove the piece, but in my case, once I use the tape for the shape, I want to just fiberglass overtop, and never have it removed... here, ill draw a little diagram of what exactly I am doing
leaving fiberglass over masking tape -- posted image.
Basically I have a corner like this, the black lines
are a corner at one point of my dash. The red is
the masking tape that I am talking about, and
the blue is the fiberglass. So the adhesion won’t be
a problem. From this drawing, it looks like I could
just throw some filler in there, or mask it off, tinfoil,
then bond the mold after... but trust me, it is a
lot more complex that I have int eh drawing, if I
can lay down the tape, it would make a 2 hour
job 5 minutes.

JakeJ 
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well soup it sounds like you know what your doing and how to do it.  If I were you I would not wory about leaving the tape. 

JakeJ 
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Let me know how it turns out.  Good luck!

devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

get the blue tape that painters use because it doesnt leave a residue and removes easily...then when you do your work, you can remove your fiberglass creation, remove the tape, then permenantly adhere your fiberglass to the dash via liguid nail or some other method....

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I know I can do that, but I dont want to have this piece removeable.. i would have to take pictures of it to show you why i cant remove it, its too hard to explain... but it would be about as hard as fiberglassing a basketball, then removing the fiberglass from the ball all as one piece. I just want to know if over time the fiberglass will deteriorate, or have a chemical reaction to the tape.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
No would will be fine. you CAN leave the tape
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic