icon

on and off amplifier switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

yeah i wanted to know how to install a switch to controle the power to my amp. while the radio. yes i read and understand theres a risk of forgetting to switch it off and cause a dead battery. im sure i wont forget to switch it off.

but what do i have to do and buy?

BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

so how do u install a switch for the amp ?

i wanna know how as well... wut do i have to buy?

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it several ways. You can put the switch from ign power to amp, that way when turn off the car it will not get power. You can also put a relay that is being energized by your remote cable, if your amp does not have a remote input. you can do it whichever way suits you best.
BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  

how do i put a relay with the remote cable? it has a remote input to the amp.  the amp already shuts off wen the head unit is off.. but theres this problem....

wen ever the hean unit goes on before the music it would rattle... same wen i turn it off.. it would rattlle loud as hell.. same wen i put the volume to zero.... also wen i chaning numbers on teh cd.. say from 1 to 2..... it would rattle... so thats y i want the switch..

netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
Please explain "rattle" a little more...what is exactly rattling? amp sub speakers?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  
focuswagon, I'm not sure what year your car is, but I'm pretty sure the Focus's are consistent. Here is a post I found for a Focus, click here. Check that out. If that is your car, what you will want to do is get a T-Tap, which is a little splice which cuts into the wire, and use that to splice into the 12 volt constant power wire. Then get the plug which plugs into the T-Tap (sorry, forgot what it's exactly called, but I think if you buy the T-taps, it should come with the male plug), and connect the remote wire of the amp to that male plug, then plug it into the T-Tap. The amps should then turn off with the car as the radio would.
BangBang, that sounds exactly like the problem I used to have. It doesn't seem to be the remote wire causing the problem, as the remote wire only senses if the car is on or not. Once the car is on, the remote wire plays no role in the system. What I accidentally found out was that once I touched my RCA's behind the deck to a piece of metal, all the "popping" went away. I hope your deck isn't Pioneer, cause that's what mine is. Well, it seems like grounding the RCA's fixed my problem. Why, you ask? I have no idea...
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
For one, a loose RCA cable would cause intermittent problems, so make sure that no RCA cables are loose.
About the remote cable, it does not come on when the ignition is turned on, but only after you power on the Head Unit. The HU controls anything by using its remote output to trigger a ON/OFF condition. If connected to an amp (as in yoru case) your amp is powered on and off by the HU when it sends the signal via remote-output.
After reading your posts, it looks like your HU is giving out some signals it should not give. It coudl also be possible because the amp's gain is not tuned properly. If you turned the gain to the max this sort of problem will occur. You should tune the amp's gain to the highest possible yet without distortion, that the optimal volume you get. I hope you did not turn the gain all the way up. If you did, then that will more than likeky be a problem.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  
Why can I not edit my previous post? I saw a few spelling errors I would like to correct but I don;t have the edit button! I even logged out and logged back in. Must be one of the bugs. Oh well. sorry about any spelling errors.
focuswagon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Aggie-Altima. i will try those wires. but i also need to know which one should i hook my remote wire to. is it RADIO 12V|ORANGE / black (thick), this one or RADIO SWITCH|YELLOW /GREEN this one. i will be hooking everything up this weekend. i will be sure to post my outcome up on monday                                          
stay focusedddddddd!!!!!!!!!
customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Prophit wrote:

Well one method is to tap into the switched power on the back of the factory head unit. Get a light tester and turn the car off then to the on position with the head unit it on. Find the power cable tap into it and there ya go. Your amp will be on as long as your radio is on.

never use a light tester on your car thats a bunch of crap. they cause shorts and blow fuses like crazy! use a DMM (digital multi meter)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic