icon

Factory DVD with additional monitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tony Brooks 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2002 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2001 Lexus LX 470.  It is equiped with the Lexus Navigation and 6 disc DVD changer.  I recently had 2 audiovox screens put in the head rests, and a separate audiovox DVD player. 

Question 1:  Can the factory DVD player and navigation be changed to play while driving?  How?

Question 2: Can the factory DVD be integrated into the screen on the headrests?  How?  They Screens do have 2 audio/video inputs.  One of which is currently being used by the audiovox DVD.

12voltlover 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2002 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

tony,

I haven't been into the nav or dvd system on your vehicle but are you sure it plays dvd's?  If so are the dvd's just maps for the nav system?  Does yours have the touch screen in the dash?  Either way, the factory indash screen must get a video signal so theoretically you should be able to pass that signal on to another monitor.  You might need a video amp for a better picture.  It sounds like an interesting and challenging project.  Better you than me!!! 

Tony Brooks 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the Reply,

I'm sure it plays DVD's because it plays them when I'm stopped with the emergency brake pulled.  It just doesn't play while driving.  Yes it is the touch screen in the dash.   Do you know if it can be changed to play while driving?

Storm910 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2002 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  

You may be able to find the wire at the e-brake which shuts of the dvd player, the wire will show continuity when the brake is engaged.  once you find the wire, you could T-tap the wire and connect it to a constant ground.  This will probly make the brake light in the instrument panel light even when the brake is off, but you should be able to watch dvd's with out the brake engaged. 

Or, you may be able to engage the e-brake just enough for the light to come on and still drive, allowing the dvd player to engage.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic