icon

Plastic filler material

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Wyboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

What is the name of this plastic filler material that these guys are using to mold these monitors into the dash trim pieces of these cars...check out the website...http://www.hzemall.com/...click on "Honda Civic console" or "Porshce 944 console"...these pics and some of the other cars show what i am talking about...

anyone know what the name of this filler is and where it can be found...?

soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
I cant remember exactly what the stuff is called. I saw it posted on a few weeks ago, but I cant find hte link now. The exact stuff that was used by the guys at Future Shop on the hzwmall website was posted here, and where to get it. I am sure someone will post it here. Ill do some more searching to see if I can find it for you
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Wyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
I read somthing about a product called Duramix 4040...do you think u can find this stuff at ur average Home Depot or Lowes? Can anyone give me more information on the texture spray?
Wyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
One moer thing...can either of u guys give me a recommendation on what kind of sand paper to use...im assuming that this Duramix isnt anything like bondo or duraglass, so it shouldnt need a real low grit sandpaper right? AND...when he takes the trim bezel to be molded in with the trim piece of the dash or console, would u guys scuff up the trim bezel a little bit or will the duramix adhere to the trim piece good enough as it is? thanx for all ur help guys...this is something that i am dying to try...
Wyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys i just picked up some bondo, some JB Weld and some sand paper...i figured bondo is stronger than the plastic filler that this guy used...however i know it will take more time to sand it to the shape i want...but ive talked to some other people about molding shiit together and they all said that bondo should work just fine...only other info that i need is where and what kind of paint to get...i want the texture paint as well as that satin black that this guy used...ill post pic and let u all know how it turns out...one more thing..once i glue the plastic trim piece off the monitor in place on the console trim piece...should i use MDF strips to fill the open spaces or should i use ABS plastic...?
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  

ok... first of all, if the two pieces you are trying to bond are plastic, take the bondo back now or save it for something else. Any resin based product and plastic are not a good idea. Most people can get away with driling a lot of holes, or really roughing up the plastic.. it will hold for quite a while, but its not the proper way to do it. Because there is probably not going to be much pressure, nor much movement of the piece your putting the bondo on, I am sure you could go a year or so before having the bondo let go. Most people will tell you that if you prep the plastic, the bondo will stick fine, and they will tell you how they have had bondo on their plastic pieces for years and its fine. In some cases this is true, but there are mor cases of it not working than there are of it working. That is why people use plastic weld, or plastic filler, and not bondo for these applications.

Because you are working with plastic, you should use ABS if you have it available to fill the open spaces, (If you disregard this and go for MDF though, make sure you use bondo) Remember Bondo has NO STRENGTH... it is filler, and a smoother, that is it. It is not meant to attach or mold two things together.
Here is what I would do, get some 40 grit sand paper, rough up the plastic real nice where you want the bod, pic up some of the plastic bonding material shown in the other thread. IF you cant find the duramax, nor the dominion seal stuff, then call around and tell then you need some plastic bonding materal. If they tell you to use something like bondo, or long strand filler, or any polyurethane material, then hang up and call somwhere else. Check out local shops, or just order it from online. SO yeah, rough up the plastic nice with 40grit, use the bonding material, sand it with 80 how you want it, then smooth it a little with 120, doesnt have to be perfect. then use the texture spray. The texturespray can be found almost anywhere. Do a search on ehre for some alternatives as well. Then after that, paint the whole console in the satin black you want. You will have a perfectly seemless molding between the two.
IF you do use the bondo, then do this, rough up the front and back of the two pieces with 40grit paper, grab a razor blade, and scratch it up even more. YOu will have long pieces of plastic sticking up, sand those down just a bit with 40 grit. Make sure you do this front and back. On the back of the two, put some fiberglass mat, one layer will do it, because you wont have to worry abouyt the mat cracking, it will come off the plastic before that happens, you can put two though if you want. Then on the front, put the bondo. Sand with just 120, then texture, then paint... and to fill the gaps you were talking about, use MDF and not ABS in this case.  This might last forever, it might last 6 months. Depends on weather, vibrations, movement, stress, and the prep work you do.

Wyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Soup - i actually took the bondo back because i was thinking about all the things u just said about it sticking to the plastic...i did order the plastic filler from that website...i got the 4040 and the 4050 and an adhesive...now should i rough up the plastice bezel from the monitor as well as the plastic on the center console trim piece..? also , should i just use the adhesive to attach the ABS plastic to the BACK of the center console trim piece to fill the open spaces? i looked at the local Lowes and Home Depot, i couldnt find anything less than 60 grit...so ill have to use that...
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would say sand both pieces with the 60 grit, then attach... On the back of it, the adhesive should be fine, wouldnt hurt to add the 4040
I havent used this stuff, I am just going by the theory of it. It would be best to also check when you get the stuff, it will most likely tell you how to prep.. it is possible that you shouldnt sand it at all, and it should be nice and smooth. Every product has different prep instructions, always best to use the method they say.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
"...i got the 4040 and the 4050 and an adhesive"
Did you order to dispenser/gun (4997) for it as well?
Mike
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic