icon

Wiring 4 ohm subs to amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bradsyukno 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

How do you know if you are running a sub at 2 or 4 ohms???  Is it the way they are wired together and then wired to the amp?  Speak slowly to me on this, don't use big tech words.

I have 2-12" subs that I want to wire to a 4 channel amp.  I am going to  bridge channel 1&2   and    3&4.  I am putting a sub on 1&2, and the other on 3&4. 

Mr Hexed
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
P                  o                        s                      t                         t                    h            e                 m               o                   d                      e                         l                         #                                 o                     f                             t                            h                    e                       s                        u                      b                     s     please.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
The subs are 12" audiopipe  (TS-PR12YW)
Mr Hexed
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes its the way in which your wire them, model numbers help greatly....Wiring 4 ohm subs to amp - Last Post -- posted image.
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Wiring two subs together and then bridging them is what  you would say is 2ohm.  Wiring the subs individually to seperate channels on the amp is running them at 4ohm. 

I currently have 2-12" subs Audiopipe (TS-PR12YW) hooked up to a 4-Ch DHD NTX-2004.

Mr Hexed
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
bradsyukno wrote:

How do you know if you are running a sub at 2 or 4 ohms???  Is it the way they are wired together and then wired to the amp?  Speak slowly to me on this, don't use big tech words.

I have 2-12" subs that I want to wire to a 4 channel amp.  I am going to  bridge channel 1&2   and    3&4.  I am putting a sub on 1&2, and the other on 3&4. 

Those are 4-ohm subs, so you will be running each bridged output at 4 ohms.  I've never heard of those subs or that amp, by the way.  That DHD NTX-2004 amp looks pretty, err, inexpensive, so don't expect it to last too long.

bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

wiring two subs together is called either parralell or series depending on how you do it. this is what determines how many ohms the subs present. bridging an amp is combining 2 channels into 1 output. this determines how many watts will be delivered to the subs. most amps when bridged can handle a 4 ohm load. your subs are dual voice coil and can be wired to either 2 ohms or 8 ohms. with what you have, i would recommend wiring each sub to 8 ohms, then hooking it up to a bridged output. my ultimate suggestion though is to get a different amp.

Wiring 4 ohm subs to amp - Last Post -- posted image.

bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

I am replacing my amp with a Punch 601s or the new P5002.  Using the punch amp, you would still recommend the same hook up with each sub at 8 ohms and bridging them?

Mr Hexed

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic