icon

Passlock II

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aerodude31484 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

Hello Everyone!  I am doing an install on an 2000 Olds Alero with the Passlock II system.  I installed the remote start and when I activate the unit, it starts the car and then cuts it off immediately.  Does that sound like a case of not having the Passlock II bypassed properly?  I have the DEI 557L unit on order and it is due in today, I am just checking to make sure that was the right assumption.  Also does anybody know how that passlock system works because there is no chip in the key.  You can use just a regular metal key to start the car.  Thanks in advance for the help!

-Austin

bmf1000d 
Silver - Posts: 345
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the pass lock is in the lock itsself. The Passlock I has the chip in the key. And it sounds like your are correct the passlock is shutting down the car, the way to check is when you RS the car and then it shuts down the security light will blink fast that will tell you that its the passlock or not
"Big" Mike
Double Take
Fremont, Ne
remember to check all your wires with a dmm not a test light!!
i take no responsibilty whatsoever for the vailidty of the info nor consequences thereof
Trav3D1 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

You are 100% correct.  This vehicle does require you to bypass the Passlock II system in order for the remote start to work properly.  I have used the DEI 555T to bypass this system in the past, but the DEI 555L will work also.  Either of these modules are easy to install.

The Passlock II system is merely a new version of the VATS system.  The major difference is that the resistor has been placed in the ignition switch versus the key.  GM has also made several other modifications to the system, but I don't think that you could start the vehicle with just any regular metal key.  That would defeat the purpose.

I hope this helps...good luck

Trav
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
proper DEI part # is 555L not 557L.... 555T is obsolete and no longer being made.....how did you bypass the Passlock when you installed the RS? if you didnt at all then this is certainly the problem and the proper DEI bypass module will cure your problem....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
aerodude31484 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

This remote start was the first one that I installed and everything thing went well.  I hooked up all required wires and even did window and sunroof control through relays.  I just wasn't thinking, since the key didn't have the chip I figured there was no anti theft.  The alarm was an easy install, I put in an Autopage Rs-650 Plus, a really decent alarm system with three channels for accesories.  I will have to wait an interface it with the DEI 555L and see what happens.  Only if life could be easy... lol

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
555L is easy to use and it learns the R code on its own.  after you install it make sure you start the car and let it run for a few seconds before you remote start it.  thats how it will learn the code.
MECP certified installer
monzie32 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
once you install bypass it will work-this is the problem(no doubt)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic