icon

4- 15 inch Powerbase Extreme subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SplSledz 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
I am thinking of buying 4- 15 inch Powerbase Extreme subs, I've never heard them but have read alot about them. Seen where they have been compared to JL W7 and Adire Brahma subs. Has anyone heard them or know if this is true? Thanks
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a link?  I have never heard of them before.
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
If its off ebay its a bunch of bull.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, did a search and found their homepage.  Unfortunately they don't list all the parameters there.  But I can get some ideas from what they do list. 

First of all, I doubt that sub will come close to the Brahma or W7 in SQ.  Although Powerbase doesn't say what motor topology they use, by what they say I am going to assume they use a standard overhung design.  After all, it is the most common design in this class, and I don't think they could get the "high excursion" from an underhung motor for that price.  Of course their definition of "high excursion" could easily be half the linear excursion of the Brahma and W7.  The latter drivers both use different approaches to flatten out the BL curve of the driver, which greatly reduces distortion.  Also those drivers both use a progressive spider which keeps the Cms curves flat.  The Powerbase driver uses dual linear spiders.  Linear spiders provide a parabolic curve, and using dual spiders magnifies the nonlinearities.  This is why I don't understand why a driver like this uses dual spiders. 

I plugged the numbers into WinISD, and it gave me the rest of the parameters.  I think some of the numbers on the site are fudged because I got a Qms of -.39.  But even still, I modeled the curves up comparing to the Brahma 12.  The Powerbase driver models to have horrible low frequency extention in both ported and sealed enclosures.  Sure it takes a tiny enclosure (.36 cubes sealed), but the response is horrible.  My guess is that this driver is designed for SPL, and not SQ.  I would like to know a little more about it to see if it could get as loud as a Brahma or W7. 

So in conclusion, based on what information I have I will say no, it isn't on par with the Brahma and W7.  This is because I believe they are different application drivers.  But I should also mention that I work for Adire Audio, so I am slightly bias.  But my opinion is based on objective information, so I don't think that bias is shown in my conclusions thus far.

actionjackson 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
when i took over the audio department, at the store im at now, the guys before me bought in factory derect powerbase subs. At leat 80% of the subs come back fast. i no longer sell therir subs because of that reason, the rep called me and asked me to place a order, i told him my promblems, and he told me i was putting them in the wrong boxes, now think about this, every sub i sold was in a hatchback pre fab box. If they wont work in that, whats the point
SplSledz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input guys, Steven you are correct about the fact that it is a Spl sub, I got ahold of an owners manual today, what other info would you be interesting in knowing? (for arguements sake) Thanks again
SplSledz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Adire makes awesome subs, heard 9-15 inch Brahmas in Louisville at the Carl Casper Show in an Astro van, hit 167.2 I think.
kustomsoundsiv 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

THOSE SUBS  SOUND GREAT I SELL POWEBASE AT MY SHOP AND THEY  ARE COMPAREABLE TO W7S  BUT I HAVE  NEVER HEARD THE BRAHMA   BUT THEY  NEED BIG BOXES TO SOUND RIGHT THE DO NOT KIE SMALL BOXS AT ALL

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Powerbase sounds like a resold ebay or cheap wal-mart brand to me.
nateone 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

customsuburb wrote:
Powerbase sounds like a resold ebay or cheap wal-mart brand to me.

You may wish to retract that comment, i have personally heard the models below the extreme series.. and would compare them to treo ss, w7's.. if not somewhat louder. they slam they were underpowered and in a prefab box.. lemme tell you for two 15's in a crappy box they hit like a champ. i plan on persuing a collection of 4 for my explorer.. as soon as i can get a better price than 399 a piece.. bleh.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic