icon

System Configuration Recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PEtegMI 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all.  First post for me, so glad I found this site.

I'm doing my very first self install so please keep that in mind when making recommendations.

The main component I want in my car (a 1994 Lincoln Towncar) is the SSI Neo 35 Car MP3 unit.  It comes with everything I need to hook it up, so I shouldn't need any cables, wires, harness, etc.  My main dilemma is that this unit has no amp, so it must either be run to a HU or to an amp (there is software volume control on the unit, so that should be fine, right?).  I'd like a really clean looking install and the unit comes with a DIN (the thingy that makes it flush-mount in the dash?) so that would be my first choice.  Going that route I would obviously have to get an amp as there would be no head unit.

In that case, I would lose my radio. System Configuration Recommendations -- posted image.  That is more of a personal choice and I guess I just don't know if I can live without my sports talk (to hell with popular radio music, who needs it) but if anyone has a suggestion to allow me to keep it that would be great.  If I have to I can velcro-mount the wired remote for the unit, but only as a last resort.

I don't believe I can use my factory HU as I don't think it has line-in on the back.  So either I need a recommendation on an HU (keeping in mind that only the radio matters to me) with a line-in (cheap!) and decent power, or I need someone to tell me that I should just go with the amp route and forego the radio.

I'm doing this all in stages (dictated by my finances) with the init coming first, followed by <?> your recommendations: speakers, amp, etc.

One final thing: easy removal and re-installation, re-using as many of the parts as possible, is also important, as I don't think I'll have this car for too incredibly long.

Sorry so long, but as it is my first time I want to cover all the bases.  Please let your experience gush on to me.

Thanks,

-Pete

P.S. If there are any details I left out please ask me to fill in the gaps.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
If your Town Car has the Premium Audio system with CD changer controls, the PIE FRDF-AUX input adapter should work.  It will give you an RCA line-level input to your factory radio.   If not, you should consider replacing the head unit with one that has an AUX input.
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Or if you don't want to get a new head unit, you could get an iRock FM Modulator.  You would need an adaptor though.... a female 1/8" plug to a left and a right female RCA plug.  The iRock you can find at any Circuit City car audio install bay (AKA the Roadshop) and the adapter you can find at a Radio Shack.  Hope that helps as a second alternative...
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Or if you don't want to get a new head unit, you could get an iRock FM Modulator.  You would need an adaptor though.... a female 1/8" plug to a left and a right female RCA plug.  The iRock you can find at any Circuit City car audio install bay (AKA the Roadshop) and the adapter you can find at a Radio Shack.  Hope that helps as a second alternative...
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

The pie adaptor would sound alot better then the irock fm modulator (or any fm modulator).

PEtegMI 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

The pie adaptor would sound alot better then the irock fm modulator (or any fm modulator).

Okay, that's two good suggestions, but I forgot to mention:

a) I DON'T have the premium audio, just the basic AM/FM/Cass/4 speakers
b) I had heard the FM modulators really don't do justice sound-quality-wise

Also, the reason I gave the newbie warning is so that I don't get responses with terms like "PIE FRDF-AUX" in them. System Configuration Recommendations -- posted image. Although I figured out what it means, as SSI offers some of them for sale along with the player.

Dyohn, any suggestions for an HU that would be decent quality for a low price with AUX ins? (Keeping in mind, again, only FM matters to me)

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I'm still looking for guidance.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Yea, the PIE adapter won't work, unfortuantely.  A HU with decent quality and low price, eh?  Two things that don't always go together, unfortunately.  I guess it depends on what you mean by low price.  If you mean $100 or less, then I don't have any suggestions that would qualify as decent.  Plus aux inputs tend to start with mid-priced and higher end units.  But, here are a few for your consideration:

Some at the lower end like the Alpine CDM-9803 or Blaupunkt BVP-660 or Sacramento run about $120 and have aux inputs.  These are nice entry-level heads with CD players and decent tuners.

The next steps up are in the $150 to 200 range like the Alpine 9805 or 9823, Clarion DXZ445, Blaupunkt Phoenix and others...

If you decide to go for the new head, be sure to get the proper wiring harness adapter and dash kit for your car.  Metra 70-1770 wiring harness and 99-5510 turbo kit should do the trick.

PEtegMI 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Some at the lower end like the Alpine CDM-9803 or Blaupunkt BVP-660 or Sacramento run about $120 and have aux inputs.  These are nice entry-level heads with CD players and decent tuners.

Excellent, I think I may have found my unit.  Blaupunkt Sacremento CD33 at Midwest Electronics for only $104.95 shipped.  Just to confirm, could you please look over those links and tell me what "type" of AUX input it has?  Is it going to be RCA plugs or am I going to need some form of adapter to connect the MP3 player to the HU?  Also, the fact that this unit has pre-amp outs means that I can easily upgrade to an amp later on, correct?

Now, my only problem will be getting a nice clean look with BOTH the HU and the wired remote for the MP3 player installed.  (That, and the fact that I've never done anything like this on my own before!)  Too bad there isn't space reserved in my dash for a CD player or something.  Are you all sure that it isn't worth investigating the FM adapter option?  Is the sound quality noticably different?  Will it be even more noticably different once I upgrade my other components?

Thanks for all the advice!  I'll be back once I get the unit(s) I'm sure, with either wiring questions, or seeking more recommendations on speakers, subs and amps.

PEtegMI 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
Woah, FYI, I just found another store that has the CD33 for only $79.99 + shipping!
PEtegMI 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, sorry to keep posting and posting, but here's best deal I've found yet. Can someone tell me if this will be everything I need? Specifically, the harness and wiring kit. This looks like a SUH-WEET deal, from everything Dyohn told me... they give you all the accessories you need for FREE (including a remote)! Everything is from SoundDomain.com. Once again I have a '94 Lincoln Towncar WITHOUT the premium audio system (AM/FM/Cass, no amp, 4 speakers). Oh, and one last thing... do I really need the specialty tool to remove my factory unit or can I just stick some househould tool in the holes to pry it out?

Product CodeProductQtyPriceTotal
System Configuration Recommendations -- posted image.
BLARC823Blaupunkt RC-823 Remote Head Unit Accessory1$25.95$0.00
This item is normally shipped from us within 24 hours.*
BLASACRAMCD33Blaupunkt V-Line Sacramento CD Player1$129.95$129.95
SCOFD02BScosche FD02 Car Stereo Wiring Harness1$6.95$0.00
SOUIECHUKSoundDomain.com Connector Kit Head Unit Accessory1$4.95$0.00
Additional scavings for this order-$30.00
Subtotal$99.95
State Tax$0.00
Shipping Cost - FedEx Home Delivery (2-5 business days)$10.95
Total amount charged to your credit card$110.90

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic