icon

Audiobahn's crapping out?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have 4-5.25 Audiobahn speakers in my 1991 Jeep Cherokee powered by a Clarion headunit.
Now the speakers rattle and sound muffled especially when I listen to am talk radio. Rather distorted even with the volume down low. I have the Bass turned way down. They have down this since they were put in. Sound rather crappy. There is sound dampening on the doors that they are in and on the rear hatch.
Have they gone bad? I plan on upgrading with a amp.
doughboy20 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

They might not be installed improperly.  One thing to do if they are easy to remove, is to take one and try it on a home sterio.  If the sound good then they are fine and there was a problem when they were installed.  If they sound like crap, then they need to be replaced.  And to stop rattling, a trick to do is the get a thin sheet of rubber and cut out a ring in the shape of the speaker and install it between the speaker and the metal of the door. 

Good luck!!!

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Also check the speaker terminals, they could possibly be touching metal on the doors, causing them to ground ouot, sometimes this will shut the speaker off totally, or it will cause distorted signal.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
if it would be touching metal could u possibly cover the terminals with sometype of rubber or something to prevent this?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
What car are these in?  Sounds like you may have a factory amplifier that is not bypassed, or you have a polarity issue where one spekaer is out of phase with the other in each stereo set.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you could do that, take the speakers out one by one and slowly put them in and see if they are making contact anywhere, because it could possibly be only one causing this, or more than, and as far as what DYohn is saying is very true, but he must have overlooked the part where you have 1991 Jeep Cherokee, those were not equipped with factory amps.So this isn't the case, But he did make a good catch with polarity issue, I would double check the wiring also while you have the speakers out.
kiteman 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
       You also didn't give the model # of the audiobahns  ???

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic