the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

SPL Box help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

I have never been to good at building box's.  But today the boss asked me to make a box for 2 Alpine type-R 12's.  What he wants is a box that will slam like freekin crazy, but still have a tiny bit of SQ.

Im lookin for a rectangular box, dual chamber, and MUST be Slot ported.

Can someone draw me up a diagram with dimentions, or send me a link.

Thanks for your help in advance!

doughboy20 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

www.caraudiohelp.com  Try this web site.  They have free sub enclosure programs that you can download and just input the specs of the subs.  It will give you everything you need.

Good Luck

1999 Chevy Lumina
Pioneer Deh-p6400 HU
2- Pioneer TS-W304C
2- Pioneer GM-X972 Amps
2- Pioneer GM-X572 Amps
All Pioneer speakers
4- Lightning audio 1 farad Digital Caps
And All Done By Myself
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks.  I'll see what i can find.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
well, what kind of car or truck are you putting this into?! do you have limited space for the box? i would go with a rectangular box like you said with 2 maybe 3" slot ports. another thing i could suggest to you is goign with bandpass. other than that i dunno what else to say to ya
xTimx
aem7506 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

Bandpass is not the way to go trust me i have to kicker comp vrs and i used to run them in a bandpass and went with a 2.5 cubic feet, single large port box and jump up alot more but w/e floats ur boat i guess

<<98 Mercury Mountaineer>>
"Sound"
Pioneer DEH7300
Pioneer 5/7 (4)
12'Kicker compvr (2)
900 Rockford Fosgate Amp (2)
Alpine Guy 
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

im building a spl box just to put up for sale, so something that will fit in trunks, and in extended cab trucks, suv's and such.

Playing around today i got the best out put and sq combo with a box tuned at 50 hz with a normal port,   Now i just gota figure out how to calculate slot ports.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
repost:

Round to Square Port Conversions:

Converting round ports into square/rectangular ports in speaker enclosures is just a matter of math. For example: If a subwoofer calls for a 6" port that is 13" long, take ½ of the port size, in this case it would be 3. Multiple this number by itself, so 3x3=9. Now multiply the 9 x PI (3.14) and this is the total area of the square port opening or 28.26 square inches of opening. (If you notice you have just use the area of a circle formula (Pi x r (squared).) This size opening can be built using any geometry, such as 14.13 X 2 inches, 9.42 x 3 inches, etc.

If you speaker calls for more than one port, multiply the number of ports by the number you calculated to get the combined calculated port area needed. As for how long the square port should be, the length stays the same as the round port. The reason is because the length of the port determines the tuning of the port and the length is not effected by the conversion from round to square ports.

superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
2.5 cu. ft.?  thats alot!  i think thats ur problem
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic