icon

kicker vs. eclipse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Krazzyborri 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Im putting something together in a 93 lexus es300 im picking up a memphis mc-1000d mono amp and I need some opinions on whether getting  L7's or eclipse. also what size, model and how many. I was thinking (1) 15'' L7 or (2) 12'' eclipse. What do you think?????
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well that depends on what you are after, if you're going pure SPL than I say go with the L7. If you wand good spl and sq then go with the eclipse subs. You could go with some eclipse aluminum's, the SW8122DVC's are dual 4 ohms that can handle 500 watts rms  which fits in perfectly with your amp.
DaLynQwenT 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, get a pair of comps. Get the Kicker Comp 15's, single 4ohms.. trust me, you... WILL NOT be disappointed. I was at the local audio store yesterday, and they installed that settup with that amp, and I put my right hand on the bible and my left hand in Jesus' pocket, it was the most crippling bass I've heard in my existance.
But, if going economy, and for tight response, do the eclipse, 2 is better than one, definitely.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

how will you say go with comps?? they are kickers lowest line....they only handle 250watts rms.... you would have to get 4 of them for them not to blow with that amp and i doubt you have the room for that....if you have the room id say the eclipse but get the titaniums if you can afford them....

97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
do not get comps, for anyone to say those hurt that they "cripple" you, that bad, i have went through so many sets of those subs whne i first started out with a system, they cost a lot of money for nothing, they are garbage, worst subs ever, they can't take any power
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
if anything get the CVRs those are actually pretty good speakers for the money i got a pair of 12s for 170$$ shipped and they hit prettygood but if you want two get like 2 L7 10s or something like that
Krazzyborri 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah the comps are definetly out of the question!!! I had 2 infinity perfects in my gti with that same 1000d memphis amp and they kicked really nice, but I felt that the amp was abusing those woofers. Right now Im leaning towards the (1) kicker 15'' L7. Any more opinions??  

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of sound are you interested in? The two Eclipse aluminum 12's will absolutely and thoroughly trounce the single L7. The box will probably be about the same size as well. The L7 is a great SPL sub when given a monster amount of airspace for the box. The two Eclipse aluminum drivers need a 1.25 cu.ft. per chamber sealed enclosure that will give volume levels up to about 140db (permanent hearing damage threshold) and give you upper bass response and musicality that the one note wonder L7 can only dream about. If you want to enjoy your music, do the two 12" drivers. They will play as loud, as deep but give you a whole pile more enjoyment. Eclipse ownskicker vs. eclipse - Last Post -- posted image.!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Can I make a suggestion. Can you tell us what you are trying to accomplish. Are you going for sq or spl. For spl I would go with the L7 if you have room for a box thats about 5 and a half cubic feet. If you want sq than the eclipse are the sub for you. I used a single L7 15 in the back of a 94 precidea off an old chrome 500a2 Rockford amp and with that we were hitting mid to high 140's but the box was retarded and it really didnt sound that good. Now with that said we were also destroying sets of just about anything you can think of including eclipse with this set up but it didnt sound that good. If its everday listing, as much as I dont like eclipse subs, they are definatly a better way to go.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Get what you think sounds good. Tell them you want to listen to a few different setups
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic