icon

back up siren problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
civtr 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have recently tried to install a back up siren to my compustar alarm. I have done the following, hooked up the red to a 12v constant source (underneath the dash), hooked up the ground, and hookep up the positive trigger (the horn output from the brain) .  The backup siren now only functions like a second siren to the alarm.  When I disconnect the battery the backup siren goes out with the alarm.  ??? I have done a search and tried many things without much luck.   My questions are, do I need to run a relay from the 12V source to the back up siren? did I wire the trigger to an improper source?  thanx in advance
jugga-nemo 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

If you are trying to get the second siren to go off when, for example, the battery is disconnected, you have to obtain a back-up battery for the alarm (or find a siren with one attached).  As far as a relay is concerned, to wire both sirens form the same output, check this link:

http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/P2P.jpg

5.25" Components & 5x7 Coax Kappas w/Power Acoustik OV4-800
KAC 7252 powering 2 D3 8" Diamonds
KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
civtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
the back siren has a built-in battery, hence "back up siren" , thanx anyway :)
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok you should have 4 wires coming from the back up siren.....
red 12v
blk ground
blue - trigger
purple + trigger
the last two may be a different color on yours....you hooked it to an output not a trigger...
my understanding is that you need to hook it to an input wire.
for example..+ input= door trigger(depending on the type of car)
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
just to clarify.....you connected the positive trigger to the horn output of the compustar brain? that horn output should be negative trigger, and intermittent only.
nevertheless, it sounds like your backup siren is working in unison with your regular compustar siren, so i assume that you've connected it in a way that should work properly.
the problem is that some backup sirens will continue to sound with battery disconnected only if it was already ringing at the time of bacttery disconnection. give that a try and see if that's the case. also, most backup sirens need to be connected to 12v power for at least 5 minutes or so before it has a decent amount of stored power to ring with much force.
hope that's a step in the right direction.
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Not to be obvious, but if your siren has a keyswitch try turning the key. You can turn off the internal battery for service, and it just might be turned off.

bzzzzttttt
civtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  

I have the key switched on (green is on, red is off I assume?!?) I tried hooking up the backup siren to a known -'ve trigger output on the compustar brain (-200 mA ouput trigger) and it doesn't seem to do anything at all.  No sound or nothing.  The only way I have been successful at making the back siren come on was by hooking up the positive trigger to the siren output.  But this defeats the purpose of the backup siren because it only works in tandem with the siren.  Really need help on this one!!

-thanx

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
ok i use the omega line and this is how AU-74M works
red to power
black ground
+ve trigger wire to the main siren wire
if you wire it up like this, you can use it as your main siren....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
spyderman_maryj 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Makes me curious... I have one installed and have never personally tested it (it was done at a shop) but my understanding was the same as yours where if power is removed, it goes off under its own power...  On my unit though, it has three positions: TEST - ON - VALET(Off) Sounds like to me either the unit itself is faulty or the key switch is wrong position.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic