icon

Amp suggestion/question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbjohn22jb 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
Sealed boxes give you a deeper, tighter bass sound, while a ported box gives you "louder" sound but you lose that deep bass. I think the deeper, tighter bass is what you are looking for. I would not go ported if deeper is what you want. You might try putting polyfill in the box as well. The answer may be a new amp.  Which way are the speakers facing? Facing the trunk or the seats? You might try moving the box around to find the sound you are looking for. But try other "methods" first. As far as your lights are concerned, get a capacitor. 1.0 farad will probably do fine, unless you want to go more, in case you upgrade your system in the future. (I know I will catch hell for that one) If that doesn't work, than go with a new alt. Is your alternator the original one? You might go to a Toyota website and find out your answer on a message board. It may be in your owners manual or a Camry repair guide. I think it also may be listed on the alt itself.
"I'm only doin' this for ya because I heard that Buffalo Bob guy shoved a road flare up yer bunghole...."
Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
Yah I want deep bass over loud. I put about 1lb of polyfill in each box. I tried pointing the speakers in different directions, and it worked the best facing towards the trunk. I'm going to try and find out about the original alternator and wait until my new amp gets here until I get a capacitor or replace the alternator. Thanks for your replies.
jbjohn22jb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Keep me informed. Curious about outcome. Thanks.
"I'm only doin' this for ya because I heard that Buffalo Bob guy shoved a road flare up yer bunghole...."
Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man, you could also, build yourself a bigger sealed box. It'll let you get deeper notes, and will require less power from the amp.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

erinh- with a new amp especially one doubling the pull of power from your battery to produce the extra wattage, you will experience a higher degree of your lights dimming.   i would say dont go with the capacitator as it is temporary, but upgrade your alternator

Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
erinh 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I checked today and the stock alt is 80amps. I looked in the the teardown manual and it says with all accessories on it draws 30 or more amps. The new amp has a 30 amp fuse in it so I figured total load should be 60 or a little more. I also have a radar detector and cell phone charger I use all the time, so I guess that adds on more. So will the stock 80amp alt handle this new amp or will it harm it over time?
Also I was looking at the chart at https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp and it says a 300 watt rms amp will draw 48amps. If this is correct, why would the amp have a 30amp fuse? And if that is correct, that will put me at 80amps - will the battery just drain as the alternator is unable to keep up?
So I'm guessing I'm eventuallly (maybe soon) going to need to buy a high output alt. I don't have much money (the same reason I'm using entry level subs/amp), so cost is a big issue for me. I found a 120 amp alt for $220 at mralternator.com, and they also sell a 150amp alt for $240. If I were to buy one of these, would the 120amp one be fine? Is there a rough number of how many extra amps the alternator should be able to supply?
Does anyone have any input on www.mralternator.com ? Any other cheap, reliable high output alternator sellers out there?
One last question, I had 12ga wire for the power/ground for my old amp and I bought some 8ga to replace it with - will this be thick enough for this amp (it is about 18ft from the battery)?
I'm sorry for such a long post and asking so many questions, but you guys are always so helpful and I really don't have anyone else to ask. So thank you!!!
jbjohn22jb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

Again, you should upgrade to accomodate your current system, but you should also keep in mind that since you are at the "entry" level, go ahead and go bigger so that when you get beyond "entry" level, you will be ok. Does that make sense? Your cell charger and detector doesn't draw that much so I wouldn't worry about those. I haven't dealt with any online dealers as far as HO alts go. What city are you in and I will see what I can come up with? Pm me if you don't want to air it. Eight gauge should be fine, But four gauge would be better. Remember the hose analogy, too much pressure makes the "small hose" burst, while not enough pressure through the "big hose" only lets the water trickle.

Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
erinh 
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
I live in Memphis, TN. I read somewhere earlier that you can take your current alternator to someone and have them rebuild it for more output - but the post I read wasn't clear as to what type of mechanic or if just any could do this. I wasn't sure if maybe this might be cheaper than buying a new one? Also I don't know what a reasonable price for this would be for this.
jbjohn22jb 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
ACC Rebuilders Inc (901) 774-5874 
853 E Eh Crump Blvd, Memphis, TN 38126
Dave's Armature Svc (901) 372-0620 
3898 Jackson Ave, Memphis, TN 38128
Mid-South Generator & Starter (901) 357-0253 
3995 Thomas St, Memphis, TN 38127
Rebuilders Warehouse (901) 362-0875 

4195 Lamar Ave, Memphis, TN 38118

Southern Auto Electric (901) 396-4811 

111 E Brooks Rd, Memphis, TN 38109

Whitehaven Auto Electric Co (901) 332-3676 
3803 Graves Rd, Memphis, TN 38116

World Wide Automotive (901) 363-6500 
4905 Southridge Blvd Ste 9, Memphis, TN 38141

Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
erinh 
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the list of these shops. I'm assuming these are places to just get my current one rebuilt? Do you know what a fair price for this should be? Also, should I just explain why I need a higher output alternator or should I just ask them how much it would cost to rebuild it for a specific number like 120 or 150 amp?
Thanks again for all your help :)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic