icon

polyester primer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I take it polyester primer isn't your basic primer so where can a guy find some? Is this recommended to use more than your basic high build primer? I've used regualar duplicolor highbuild primer and is saves some bondo time and sands real nice cut some good time finnishing a glassing project but is "polyester" primer better? Does it build well? thanks in advance
go custom or go home!!
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know if its better but I also want to know where to find some???
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
yes it is better......you can brush it on if need be, but it is better to spray it from a paint gun with a tip that is at least 1.8mm or bigger. it cleans up with acetone. it can be built up some where between 25-45 mil thick in one sitting. not millimeters, mils. look at a garbage bag, those ate measured in mils as well. it sands really easy.
you can get it at any place that sells automotive paint. ppg makes some, sherwin williams, evercoat, a bunch of companies.
hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
verywell thanks! I'll just stick with the duplicolor rattle can, don't have a gun and don't plan on spending anymore money on glassing just for a priming, duplicolor works just fine builds great and sands great, I just thought there was somthing spectacular bout polyester primer that differs from other highbuild primers and it doesn't sound like it. Thanks for the feed back though.
go custom or go home!!
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
ya same here I dont have the money to go out and buy a gun just for that (I wish I did).
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
you can use an inexpensive gun for the poly primer. we just go to harbor freight or walmart and get a cheap siphon feed gun for about $20. it comes with a 1.8mm tip and works fine.the biggest cost you will run into is the compressor, but if you are doing a bunch of fiberglass stuff or working on a lot of car stuff you will want one anyway. it allows you to use things like airsaws, diegrinders, sanders, paintguns impacts, and so on.
it is kind of a must if you want to save any kind of time. otherwise you are doing a lot of hand sanding.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic