the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

MECP's - where should I get it installed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04Sahara 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

O.K. I've thrown in the towel on my Clifford RS 3.5 and decided to let you experts do it. I'm returning mine to the store and if they take it back I'm getting installed, otherwise I'll look for a installer to do it.

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with Sentry Key Immobilizer. I'm going to put in the 524N door lock actuators and run the wires to under the dash (alarm places charge way too much to do that - it's very easy and quick) - then I'm going to take it somewhere to have either the Clifford or Viper installed plus the 508D.

I've got a few questions: 

1. Where should I take it to? I'm in Houston, TX. - Best Buy, Circuit City, CarToys, MobileOne, {mom + pop}?

2. I already know where I want the antenna - right behind the rearview where I put mine now. Are the installers gonna give me crap because they'll want to put it somewhere else?

3. What is the best place to put the 508D to protect my Jeep when there is NO TOP or just the SOFT TOP on? I don't care about when my hard top is on. I just don't want someone cutting my soft top window or reaching in and stealing my soda! I want to be able to adjust it without taking a trip to the installer.

4. I need everything mounted UP HIGH - I off-road my Jeep through 3+ feet of water/mud. I mounted my siren on top of the driver's side wheel well right next to the wiper fluid holder - there were already holes for the bracket. Will the installer not like this location?

5. How do I know they did a good install? What questions should I ask? I don't want to keep bringing it back and I certainly don't want to have a dead Jeep sitting there not starting because a wire came loose.

6. Is there a transponder thingy that DOESN'T need a spare key hidden in my Jeep?

7. HOW MUCH should I expect to pay, including lifetime install warranty? I know you guys have to feed your kids and am willing to pay a reasonable amount ($100 labor to install 1 524N in a Wrangler door and jacking up the price for the actuator  is totally unreasonable - my doors come apart in seconds and there's nothing in the way once you have the panels and plastic off).

TIA.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Take it to Acoustic Edge off of 1960..the will do it for little or nothing. I usually put those 508's high up so that it can detect most things. Because for someoen to get into your vechicle they have to come from the top to the bottom. You can only go by their reputation for doing a good job. Unless you sit there and watch them. Tell them that you want solder and tape on ALL connections. Some companies use those crappy T-Tap..the problem with those are they are cheap and they come un-done after time. Rattle and vibration aren't those guys friend. There is no getting around the transponder without a key.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
i heard some horrible story about cartoys, they have a really bad services, in general.
circuit city on 1960 doesnt use ttaps (its not a major concern if you ask me) but they use solder. they do a crappy job of hiding the module, you can literally see it right under steering column.
the best thing to do is to tell them whats your need, if you dont tell them then they odnt know what to do and they only take it to their own measures.
youre asking about...... in installation @ CCity
~160 and up for RS
~40 DEI 555U
~40 for the perimer 508d
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
04Sahara 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

I thought the prices for the alarm @ circuit city were installed prices...

are you talking about the new circuit city on 249/1960 or the one by westheimer/1960 (funny, cartoys is within walking distance of both CC's :)

Thanks!

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Best Buy carries that alarm and if it was purchased from them, they will only charge you a $4 material fee to install it.
Do it right the first time
04Sahara 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
At this point I'm more concerned over the quality of the install vs. the relative costs.. pretty much everyone sells it and installs it for roughly the same amount. A good installer is worth his weight in gold.. you guys need to get paid more for the work some of you do. I've seen some pics and some of it is simply amazing!
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
am talkin about the one on 1960/249, yeah cartoy is behind there.
two of my friends had viper 550esp installed like couple of years ago and i thought they did a pretty good job.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

In my opinion having the installation as a top priority is a smart move however it will come at a price, $100 alarm install is nothing in my area. A top of the line security system install is well over $200 and thats if there is no actuators. To say that $100 is unreasonable because its "so easy" to remove your door panels, route wire through your dash etc then you wouldnt be looking for an installer to do it for you. A security system is only as good as the installation.

I use the Clifford Avantguard 4 and the proximity sensor is adjusted via the remote control which meets your needs of easy adjustment no matter where its mounted. A system with that feature might be something you want to look into (not familiar with the systems you already listed, maybe they have it?)

As far as the installer having issues with your requests, an installer may have insight about why a location is good or bad and offer alternatives for you. Ultimately the decision is yours once you know any possible problems (if any) with a mounting location etc. If they dont want to help you make an informed decision that you can both agree on and would rather do it his own way, then I would go somewhere else.

Oh and one way to know when you have found a good installer is ask to see some pictures of his work and ask about any certifications.

Good Luck!

its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Rereading your post I see unreasonable as being $100 for an actuator install in the door, yea thats WAY excessive =) the total system I would expect to be between $100 and $200 depending on who/where and what parts needed if any.

Let us know how it turns out.

Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Alarms at Best Buy include the installation, the only thing is it doesnt include installing any bypass modules, or add on modules like the 508D's or backup batts. bypass module installs run about $25.00, 508d i think would cost about 40 bucks, and if you need acuators in the doors they charge 20 for the actuator and 50 for the labor and wire(per door).However sometimes if you are buying additional accessories they will sometimes give you a break on the labor, just gotta ask. at the bby I work at we are all about making our installs as clean as possible, we also use solder and tape, no T-Taps. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic