icon

problem with kicker subs and 200ix amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brad123 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Is your rca wires running next to your power? this can bring in a lot of interferance.  Also is it hooked up to after market head unit.  For example i know in some exploreers there  is one sub in the system and if you try to hook up the rca adapter it wont work.  Hope this helps.
exmxracer33 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
I already said that they run on the opposite side of the car from eachother but i did fix the problem. The alternater was sending carzy engine noises through my lead wire. i insulated the lead wire and taped any possible part of my lead that was showing. The interferance has stopped and i am getten plenty of power. thanks
exmxracer33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
OK i have a punch 200ix amp pushing two kicker compvr c12 8 ohm 12's. The amp is 4ohm stereo 2 ohm mono. I run the subs in stereo. I dont know what the problem is but whenever i have the gains equal liek 3/4 of the way up the subs make a wierd knocking sound and dont bump at all. but if i keep one of the gains up and turn the other one all the way down one of the subs goes quiet and the other one bumps really hard. i dont know why this is happening but i would sure like if sombody offered a solution. also i dont know much about the amp so if anyone has one or knows anything about it please let me know.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

OK, first of all, the Kicker Comp VR is a DVC 2-ohm speaker.  Where did you get 8-ohms?  Secondly, what are you setting the gains to?  Why are they up to 3/4?  What you are seeing is the amp overdriving, either from gains way too high or speaker load way too low, or both.

Punch series amps are not 1-ohm stable.  The amp is not, as you state "4-ohm stereo and 2-ohm mono."  It's the other way around.  With DVC 2-ohm woofers, you must wire them at 4-OHMS for them to work in stereo on this amp as it requires a minimum 2-ohm load and you can't do that with a DVC 2-ohm driver.  It requires a minimum 4-ohm load in mono.

Now, if you speakers are indeed 8-ohms, then wire them in parallel and bridge the amp for a mono 4-ohm load.  Set yur gains to match the input, don't just "turn them up" to see what happens, unless you plan to buy a new amp or new speakers fairly soon.

exmxracer33 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
That is all information that i have been told......the speakers say 8 ohm on the back so i am pretty sure that they are 8 ohm speakers...... . I fixed the problem tho i reversed the connection on one of the speakers and it pounds. that amp is great i can run it for houres and it doesn't even get warm.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic