icon

(2) 4-Ohm DVC subs wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everybody, i have a wiring situation here i need some help with. I have 2 DVC subs and i need each of them to get about 100w. My amp is a 200w rms x 4 @ 4-ohms, so i need to use on of the channels and wire the 2 subs to recive half of the power. The problem i have is how to wire them up. Because the way i have figured the numbers out, if i wire them i series, i will get a 16 ohm load?! Is that correct? And would this give me 50w per voice coil? Aka 100w per sub?

Can some one help me out here?

Thanks alot.

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
what type of sub and amp are we talking
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

if you wired your subs up like so, and then turn your amp gains down you should be ok, but reply back with model #s

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

(2) 4-Ohm DVC subs wiring -- posted image.

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
you are running two 4 ohm dvc subs off of a 4 channel amp correct? is the amp bridge able.
what are your brand and model numbers?
Quad L Handyman services
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  
assuming you have dual 4 ohm coils yea, you would get 16 ohms, but, wire them at 16 ohms to the amp, and ur lucky to get 50 watts total. lol. tell us what kinda equipment you've got man, we can help you out a little more once we know that.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Heh, well equipment is the following (not much to be too proud of, but hey it works. And the only reason im using these subs is because they ar cheap, and i am only using them for a project in school.

Amp - Pyramid:

200w RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms

200w RMS x 2 + 400w RMS x 1 (3 channel mode)
400w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms (bridged)

And the subs are cheap little $20 "Roadmaster" subs from walmart. Im using them to get some experience with DVC subs. They just look cool, so its like some cheap Audiobling, but probly sound better...

I only plan on using 1 channel, not be bridged. Im thinking now, that i could hook them up like shown in the picture above and end up with 100w per sub?... Thats exactly what they need, they are 100w RMS / 200w peak subs.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
well if you take into accoun that the outputs on that amp are probally not anywere near what the company claims, you could just run each sub to a seperate set of bridged channels running the vc in series. or you could run both subs to a single pair of bridged channels and run the subs in a series parallel setup.
Quad L Handyman services
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thats actually already takin into affect. They claim 250w rms per channel, i know its not that, so its actually about 200w. Its a "1000w" amp, but really an 800w amp. I don't bother saying it has that much power, i know its lower than what they advertise. So i just compensate whenever I mention the power of the amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic