icon

JL W7 really that good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
I find it hard to believe what people say when they state that a w7 can out pound 2 12"w6v2 .  I dont remember quite where I read it but I am sure that many of you have also heard the same thing.  This just goes beyond all logic for me.  24" of surface cone versus 12".  I know that the w7 is a better sub but come one, is it really that good?  I have always leaned towards memphis and some of you may know as of my last post, i have found an interest in JL audio.  I am just looking for some more input.  1 12" w7.....just doesnt make sense to me.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  

well, have u ever heard like... 2 12" Baja subs, versus a single 12" Alpine type r? Type R blows them baja's outta the water. Its all in the design and quality man. (by they way, that was just an example, no offense to any baja owners!) lol

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
im not sure about the w6v2 vs the w7 but i know that two 12's can be blown away by 1 12 just because the surface area is larger doesnt mean that the combination of subs or sub is going to be better, the excursion also plays a role in that (ie, 2 12" subs with only a half inch of excursion can be closely matched with a single 12" with an inch of excursion.) its all about total air movement not just the surface area. now about the w6v2 vs. the w7 im not completely sure but, the 12w6v2 has an xmax of .65" and the 12w7 has an xmax of 1.15". not exactly double but close enough for me to think that a w7 could beat a pair of w6v2 under certain circumstances.
Quad L Handyman services
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
yea, what he said! lol. hey ketel, doesnt sensitivity play a part in that too? i know excursion would make a big diff, but i'd think the sensitivity would play a decent role in it too. just curious.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
so 2 12" memphis HPOs with a excursion of 1" should rock either one of those JL combinations right?  I am sure some people would say no, and that JL would still win.  My head hurts trying to make sense of all this.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

yeha, sry im a lil tired tonight, i didn't rem. to add that there was many other contributing factors. (sensitivity and efficiency being other key factors, with others.) maybe forbidden, dyohn or bberman1 can further explain this tomorrow for anybody who is confused.

Quad L Handyman services
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
man for the money u can get rockford power subs. the ones that are 2000w max power.  they are the same thing but cheaper. i have heard for the money the w7 is not worth it at all. i have heard nothing but bad things about it.
southsider
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have heard the W7 in vehicles before and it is pretty impressive. It sounds good and does play loud but I dont think its gonna preform as well as a couple w6's and I also dont think that, for the money, the W7 is the way to go. For example a MTX 9500 sounds just as good, and puts out more volume for less money. Its also a super impressive looking sub. Its more efficent too.
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Most people who say that "for the money the w7 is not worth it at all" just don't want to pay that premium for a speaker. But I am a firm believer in you get for you pay for, I think the w7 is an incredible sub and anything that carries the JL Logo cost money, that is just a given, JL audio produces all of their components and that is gonna cost but they have proven to be one of the top performers in the industry. When it comes to quality and reliability JL is one of the best, period. That is not to say that there isn't alternative's out there, lot's of people make damn good subs that will cost you less and that's fine, it's all about what you feel comfortable paying and if you feel like paying a premium. I'm getting tired of people knocking JL because they cost more, if you don't want to pay what they charge fine, buy something else. Just don't knock a good company with good products because you don't want to pay for 'em, I don't hear anybody b*tching about zapco or xtant prices. It's all about personal choice.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I wasnt trying to knock JL. And infact, while I dont like JL products at all, I think that the W0 is a solid sub in a great price range, I also think that the W3 and W6 are priced accordingly. What I said about the W7 being overpriced I stand behind. I know for a fact that there are better subs, made by mainstream, dependable companies, for less money. I also agree with you when you said that you must buy what you are comfortable with. That is why you will never find a JL product in my vehicle. I had them before and they failed me in a big way so I dont have confidence in them anymore, where as I have had orion, kicker, mtx and pheniox gold all with out a hitch so I am far more willing to spend my money, be it more or less, on these products as opposed to a product that let me down. So when I say somethings overpriced it is not nessasarily because I cant afford it but because in reality I dont think its worth it to me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic