icon

non car question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hello people, I have a very strange question. Is there anyone on this forum that works for law enforcement or computer investigations? I am being accused falsely and don't know what to do or how to prove they are wrong.
I uninstalled a piece of software from someone's computer using PcAnywhere (Upon their request), and next day (this Monday morning) I get a call at work saying "I will call the police department and have you arrested and call your boss and get you fired from your job because all our files are deleted and emails lost".
That's way wrong, for something I did not do. They claim that I deleted all their files. Well I have been working with computers for over 10 years now and know my job pretty well. Nor did I wipe this computer in question. The details of accusation are too many to write on here.
What can I do legally to prove myself right? Please send me a private message if you don't wnat to write it on the post here. Thanks a lot.
Mark
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
1. Why would you be using PcAnywhere to uninstall a software program, and not simply instructing the client to use the uninstall / add-remove window?
2. What OS is this computer using?
3. Anyone worth their salt in a business environment would have been backing up *mission critical* files and the directory via tape, zip, CD-RW. DVD-RW, or any other form of mass storage.
4. The client will have to prove that you did indeed erase / currupt the files in question.
The first thing the Admin should and will do to varify is to see the audit trail to see what files you accessed and removed.
5. If you have a proper business contract with the client you should have a clause stating such incidental losses are part of the job and you cannot be held liable for *approved / authorised* work performed.
But then again, screwing up someones computer doesnt lend to a prosperous business either.
6. If the OS is Win-XP I would attempt to use the *Restore* feature to see if that will revive any lost files.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Teken,
1. I used PcANywhere because this user is almost a dummy when it comes to computers, and more the reason why they are making so much of a noise. This user cannot uninstall properly unless instructed (And the software I originally installed and then uninstalled on Sunday was only for trial use by this person). I also wanted to make sure I did it since they may never do it themselves.
2. OS was XP home edition.
Unfortunately this is a private person, not a company so I don't have a business contract with this person. I did it for no charge but a "favour" which resulted in such nice reward.
As for the restore, it will not work. Most brand name computers such as Dell, HP etc have a restore feature but that restores only "factory-installed" stuff. The other restore is to get back drivers to a prior date level. The files they claim lost are more than likely there on the computer but the person cannot find them. And now they won't even let me help them as they have gone to complain already. I mean if they come to me, all I can do is ask for proof that I did delete the user's files. It has left a very bad taste in my mouth indeed. Not to mention it ruined my week mentally.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
What files are we speaking of?
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
1. Data Files. From Word and Outlook. The Word files were not in "My Documents" but in a custom folder since that is how they wanted it. Now they may have moved them and think its me.
2. Outlook files (emails). They should be in a pst0-file but once they reinstall a new version, they may overwrite that and THEN lose their emails. And perhaps blame me again.
tonto26 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I remember hearing about something in a college law class. Not positive, but I think that if you were an unpaid volunteer, just helping out a friend at their request, then you can't be held liable. Not sure, but something to look into.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
PcAnywhere leaves backdoors in some instances, more than likely someone hacked the backdoor and nuked the computer (I use to be into hacking/security stuff). They use whats called a trojan, you can get them by just surfing around on the next for a week and not scanning your computer. PcAnywhere isn't fool proof, it opens up a port and its possible that a trojan on that computer sent out a signal to a hacker, who locks the port open pretty much (depending on the trojan) giving him full god powers over that computer.
On to the legal matters. They would have to find physical evidence proving that a command from your computer was sent to the computer in question. They would then have to detect the origin of this command, which in and of itself is near impossible, the FBI might have stuff that can do this. They would then have to find a motive and then spend their time investigating you and attempting to figure out why you would have done it. Really, I'd attempt to discuss it with them and attempt to solve the problem together, if they wont then I'd call my lawyer and discuss it but personally I dont think they can do anything to you legally. Good luck with this.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I have put zone alarm pro on this user's computer with maximum protection, so the quesiton of a hacker nuking thier computer is not what happened. I also have given them Norton antivirus full edition that is automated to run at 12.00 every night and at intervals of after 1 hour of idle-time on the computer.
Also the first time they thought something similar happened, I showed them that the files were all there but moved by them(the accuser). (I have an entire writeup I can let you read if you're interested).
They know that I have a pretty good knowledge of computers (and viruses etc). While learning how to write anti-virus code, you gotta learn what a virus does, right? That does not confirm that writing viruses is my fulltime hobby. I have a pretty good track record of nearly 20 years.
About the FBI, that is what I suggested them. They are now mad at me and I have no idea what they are going to do next and have had "hell-week" whole last week with no sleep for 3 nights and skipping breakfast and lunch monday, tuesday and wednesday.
I may need a good lawyer. I don't know where to look, maybe yellow pages?
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Really, if you have Zone Alarm Pro and Norton on their computer, and it got screwed up, I would suspect and insider trying to frame you. Anyone at that place got a grudge against you? I mean, I have a good knowledge of Norton AV and I know that if you update it regualarly and run it often you can stay trojan free. And zone alarm is the best thing on the market for keeping ports secure. This sounds more like an insider frame attempt the more I type. You've got too good of a track record from the sounds of it to have any reson what so ever to risk your career over some files. As far as a lawyer goes I'd ask some of my friends, if that turns up nothing then I'd look in the Yellow pages or around at local plazas (lawyers seem to love setting up in plazas). Again, best of luck with this, I hope things turn out with a positive end.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic