icon

Diode installation for flashing lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nicklk 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I am wanting my bright headlights along with my parking lights to flash when I arm and disarm my alamr (prestige) but I need to install diodes to make the brights not turn on when I place the brake.

Now the question, where int he circuit do I install the diode??  Do I split the signal wire from the alarm, one with a diode to the parking lights, and the other with a diode to the bright headlights??  Is this done on a circuit board, or can I just put a diode inline on the wires??

Thanks

nick

bmf1000d 
Silver - Posts: 345
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

YEs split them and yes you can put them in line but you would have to wire a relay to supply the power for the lights

"Big" Mike
Double Take
Fremont, Ne
remember to check all your wires with a dmm not a test light!!
i take no responsibilty whatsoever for the vailidty of the info nor consequences thereof
its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure you get the polarity correct.  High beams on a vehicle can be positive or negative switched while the park lights are the same or opposite. Add relays etc. as needed to get correct polarity.
nicklk 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

Alright, so......

I have a relay switched to the high beams, and a diode placed from the alarm to the parking lights....do I place the other diode for the headlights before or after the relay?? 

its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

If the output from the alarm connects to the relay and then goes from there through a diode then connects to the park lights, you shouldnt need anything else. As long as the diode is in the line after the relay you should only need the one. It will keep the relay from being energized when you use the OEM switch to turn on the park lights.

nicklk 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

What model of diode would you guys suggest using??  I got a 12V diode last night and nothing is working, so I went ahead and bought some 1N4003, 1N4004, AND 1N4005's, what one should I use??

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic