sub enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
VICgt 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

hey all,

i'm very new to all of this car audio, so please be gentle. i am looking at putting a sub in my fiero, back behind the seat. i have been looking at a few different ones, MTX T6104a, t6124a, kicker compvr 01c10vr4. i'm trying to find a solo baric 8", but due to remote location, am having trouble.

i have looked at how to figure out what size box to build on this sight but, holy crap, i don't understand any of it. i shouldn't say that, lol. i just don't have a clue as to what size to make it. if i go with the kicker compvr, it says it needs 0.8-3.0 cubic feet for a sealed unit. it will take me years to figure out what the dimensions should be, and i wanna get it in before i'm too old for the car. can someone please help me with the dimensions

thx in advance

VIC 

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  

basicly all you do is....

well measure the Height x width x length, remember though it is the internal volume so the mdf you have too account for....a 12x12x12 inch box is not 1cubic ft. if the mdf is 1inch thick

just subtract the thickness of the wood....so a 12x12x12 inch box would be actually 10x10x10 if you take of for the wood 1 inch on both sides....hope that helps

you can use the volume calulator on this site to find out how many cubic inches a 15inch x 9 inch x 15 inch box would be...

I hope that helps....I know for sure others can explain it even better than I

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
Seeing that you are putting it behind your seat, you are more than likely going to build a triangular box. If that is the case, use the volume calculators for the wedge enclosures. If you still need help, try to find the exact dimensions of the space behind your seat and post it, and we will try to help.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
VICgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

i understand that now, but when i'm figuring out that, do'nt i have to also take in account the sub when it's in the enclosure (subtract the volume of the sub and then add the difference to the overall volume) eg the volume the sub calls for is 0.8 cubic feet, would i need to make it bigger than that..

is plywood better than mdf, or does it matter? is an alpine v12 mrv-100m amp enough to run these subs?

thx for the responses

VIC 

VICgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
also, which of these subs would you prefer?   and is that a good amp?   need quick answer, going to buy them today
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
VICgt wrote:

i understand that now, but when i'm figuring out that, do'nt i have to also take in account the sub when it's in the enclosure (subtract the volume of the sub and then add the difference to the overall volume) eg the volume the sub calls for is 0.8 cubic feet, would i need to make it bigger than that..

is plywood better than mdf, or does it matter? is an alpine v12 mrv-100m amp enough to run these subs?

thx for the responses

VIC 

Yes, take the volume of the woofer and any ports into account and increase enclosure size to compensate.  No, don't use plywood, use 3/4" MDF.  The Alpine is a good amp at about 100 watts, and it will power the MTX woofer you list at about 1/2 it's ratings.  It would be PLENTY for a Fiero, unless you are trying to "rock the block."

VICgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

would it work with the kicker? which would be a better sub?

VIC

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer MTX to Kicker, but both are in the same class.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Where are you in Canada that is remote, I'm on an Island for pete's sake, that is semi remote. Remote to me is like say Inuvik or Desolation Harbour or anywhere in Quebec / Labrador. For your vehicle I would recommend a good small box shallow mount speaker. I highly recommend the Planet Audio NEO series for this application. They have a mounting depth of under 4" for the 10" driver, handle 250 w rms, have a 5 year warranty and sound great. They would be a great sub in this application with no loss of seat travel.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
VICgt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

i live in cold lake, Alberta. where are you from? PEI. i'll take a look at yours, never heard of them, we only have a wal-mart and crappie tire here. 3 hours to edmonton.

thx for the info

VIC

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic