icon

trunk/hatch auto popper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2002 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket automatic electric trunk popper that will interface with the traditional factory tension wire (can't think of the correct name for it ...brain freeze).  This is so I can interface it with the alarm feature to pop the hatch on a 97 civic.

Thanks

Craig

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

Cool, trunk poppers trunk/hatch auto popper - Last Post -- posted image.

I've bought 3 of these and installed 2 so far (one in a '93 Taurus and one in a '92 Integra).  Believe it or not, the 3rd install is in a '97 Civic.  I was checking out the trunk lid of the civic, though, and it seems pretty tough (but do-able).  The Integra was easy because it was a hatch, so the mechanism was on the bottom, not on the door, and then it was covered by a panel.  The Taurus was easy (even though it was on the trunk's door) because the door was a couple of inches thick, so I hid it between the metal.  The civic, though, is pretty thin, so I have a feeling that you'll be able to see the solenoid no matter where you put it.

Here's some sites:  (I've bought one from Bulldog and the other two from ShoppingMatrix.....there's tons of other sites.  They're basically the same product, just different prices for it and the shipping)

There's 3 for now.  Again, you'll see that they're all the same product....just different "names".  I think the ones that are like more than $20 are nuts (~$50).  That's crazy, they do the same thing...they probably ARE the same thing.

crroush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

cool, i will look into that option, it shouldn't be to difficult to install.

thanks.

Craig

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Take pictures! trunk/hatch auto popper - Last Post -- posted image.  I wanna see where you decide to put it in a Civic.  (if you want to see pics of my other 2 installs, lemme know.)
crroush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

yea actually, please send me pictures of your hatchback that you did, that would be nice.

my local distributer sells one by CrimeStopper for about 15 that I think I will get, gotta confirm with the owner of the car to get a go ahead though.

Craig

JayBrown1 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have used a regular door lock actuator and found it to be a little easier to fit in tight spots.  You will still need a way to connect to the trunk release cable.  The vehicle I did had a cable that was thick enough to use the hardware that comes with the actuator.  You just wire up so that it works in one direction when you activate it.  I installed it with enough tension that it would extend the plunger again after activating.  You could probably use a spring on the actuator to do the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic