icon

2004 VW touareg amp and subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
momo stallion 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

we have been trying to install a mono channel amp and 2 subs into a brand new touareg but have been unable to find rear speaker leads to tap our factory link into to get our audio signal to the amp.  if anyone out there knows where and what wires to tap please let me know. our installer tried and found the front and rear tweeters only as well as the center channel but was unable to find the rear woofer leads.  might these need to be tapped to the speaker in the door??  any info on removing trim along the drivers side floor panels to run the power wires??  any and all quick help would be great!!!

thanks,

mo.

glatta 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

I also have a touareg.  It has the premium sound system.  There is an weak amplifier behiind the removable panel in the cargo area on the passenger side.  If you remove the amplifier, there are 2 plugs going into it.  One has speaker level inputs from the head unit.  The other has 11 separate speaker outputs.  Each speaker is a home run to the amp and is crossed over at the speaker.  I downloaded a bunch of wiring diagrams and instructions on how to dismantle all the trim pieces.  They are all PDF files.  I can forward them to you but Im not sure how.  By the way, in the same compartment, there is a plug for a CD changer.  It has a turn on lead in it that I used for my alpine amp.

The system is very complicated.  I replaced the amp with my alpine  4 channel.  The front tweets and mids couldnt handle the power.  I also did a test with my alpine head unit instead of the VW one and the sound was much better.  I am a bit crazy about my sound so I went to extreme measures.  I took out the VW unit and dismantled it.  I removed the CD section completlely which left the entire upper half empty.  Then I mounted the guts of my alpine head unit inside so that the CD slot lines up.  I wired the removable faceplate to a remote location, where the lighter/ashtray sits.  Now I have the alpine for CDs and the VW unit for the radio.  It took some relays and diodes to get it all to work but it was worth it in the end.

I also ended up replacing the front mids and tweets.  I installed some 4" separates in the doors above the woofers (had to cut the panel--ouch) and put the tweet in the spot where the old mids were.  I kept the 8" woofers that came with the car since they provided good bass response.  Now I have the tweets and mids running off channel 1&2 and the 2 woofers on channels 3&4.  THe sound is awsome.   I may attempt to wire the rear speakers to the rear speaker outputs of the alpine head unit for fill, but the sound is very full without them.

The radio sounds okay but not great.

As you can tell, I really ripped into it so if you have any questions, ask and I'll try to help.

momo stallion 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
yea, if you can forward me how to pop the trims that would be awesome.  i think we are gonna try to get the signal at the door,
momo stallion 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

i dont know what happened in the post above.  i dont think we want to go thru the hassle of hitting the door speakers if we dont have to.  but u can forward the diagrams to me at m2thaizzo@comcast.net and just send those as an attachment.

well, we tried catching that signal off the amp back in the back panel, but when we tested each set of wires, we only got the tweeters to pop.  r u saying that this signal would be fine cause it would contain the entire range signal and its just crossed over in the doors??   we only need two rear or two front speaker leads just to grab our bass from.  my installer gave up after that cause couldnt get the woofers to pop so we put it aside.  if this wont work, where should we tie into for our high level outs for the sub amp

Greg S 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

If the signal is full range then you wouldn't get any popping on the other wire due to the coils on the speakers used to cross them over, the coils are absorbing the energy from what ever you are using to pop them.

Greg Stoddard
glatta 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I think you have to tap into the "input" side of the amplifier.  It has 4 pairs of wires coming from the HU----- FL, FR, RL & RR.  The output side, which goes to the speakers, is already amplified once, which will probably be a problem to tap into, although I am not sure.  If you are going to tap into the output side, there are 2 pairs of wires in there that are direct runs to the bass speakers in the front doors, I would tap into those.  The wiring diagrams give you all the colors.  I will forward what I can tonight when I am at home, its all on that computer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic