icon

Sub Cuts out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dogmeat 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ive tried various car audio boards and no one answers. Except a few close friends and we cant come up with anything. so heres my shot.
Ill be driving and all the sudden the sub will cutout, i look back and the amps still running then all of the sudden the sub comes back.
This has been on going and random lately. Just this mourning, im driving and my HU just shuts up then comes back on. I think it has somthing to do with the electrical system, somthing is surging. But im not sure where to start looking....
-------------------------------------
Updates
-------------------------------------
Drove it around all day today, dint cut out once.
Yes i have had problems with flux(tinsel lead) but when this happens, it burns it up and its gone like that. Which i thought is what it was to begin with, but the sub came back on. Honestly i think its an electrical problem. More then likely somthing to do with the alternator. I just put this one in about 4 months ago. I am running a 100amp alt with a 1200 watt amp. Another thing, is its just 1 sub, Which i KNOW i should be running a Maxpower 1000W sub on an amp this large but yaknow, I never got around to buying another one.
I think it mainly happened when i guned my car. Or comming around a corner. I also noticed that it happened more when it rained outside. Moisturebuild up causing my ground to fail? I noticed the term in the back, thats mounted to the frame, for ground, is lose. So thats one place to look.
Thing is, when the amp dies, the LED goes out slowly. When this happens, i think all power goes out, then comes back on. In the past in this car, i did have issues with it. Id start the car and the voltage guage would read low and the HU wouldnt come on. So id turn the car off, restart it and everything would come back on with the guage up fully.
Overall, i bought this car for 400 bux. Its a 91 Beretta, When i bought it, it had 228k on the engine. Runs like a charm tho, until this power sh*t started happening, now it runs a little ragged. Im getting a 3.1 and rebuilding it beefy style so the engines not an issue. I think what ill end up doing is running a new ground from the alt to the battery. And finding a better point to mount my ground for the amp at. There is only 1 fused point, which is from the battery to the amp, and no fuses on the amp. Which again i know is a bad thing. Im just mad lazy :P
Ill be parking it in the garage this weekend and looking at the wiring, hopfully ill come up with somthing, ill let ya guys know.
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
i had the same thing happen when the battery is going dead or is dead. so i would check the battery an if your alt is any good u may need to upgrade your alt. just a thought.
southsider
dogmeat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sad to say the battery is like 6 months old. I may have to look into getting a new one. Ill have to stroll down to the local autozone and have them to a diag on the battery and the alt.
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
well it might be lose wiring too. but let us kno what happs
southsider
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
battery is not the issue if car is running. Is it the whole car that looses power or just the radio?  If its the whole car im thinkin its the igition switch- happened to my accord.  Also check for loose wires and bad grounds, corrosion too
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Several things could be happening, the most likely being a bad or loose power or ground cable.  Have you checked the main battery ground cable and the engine ground strap for corrosion?  Is there a stiffening capacitor in this system?  Has the alternator ever been upgraded?  Does the amp always simply shut down or does it sometimes go into protection (LED turns red or red LED lights up)?  What kind of amp is it and what kind of impedence load is it pushing?
rones 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hey dogmeat, I am having the exact same problem. Ive checked my grounds, and all the cables and my subs will just cut out out of nowhere and then come back on right away. If you find out whats going on please please tell me!!!!
dogmeat 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is a Phoenix Gold Tantrum1200.1, Dosnt have a LED that shows it going into protect, but im sure its not that issue.
The alt is about 5 months old, bought it at checker (first mistake). The alt is 100amp when the original is a 60amp.
I have been driving it for 2 days now, and not a problem. So im not quite sure what is going on. This weekend im gonna take it all down and see what i can figure out.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
What are you pushing with this amp?  The PG Tantrum 1200.1 is a 250 watt (nominal) amp that requires a minimum 4-ohm load.  If your load is less than this, it will shut down during peak demand.  Also, this amp can only handle a maximum 4-volt line-level input, so if your head unit (or crossover or whatever is feeding the amp) delivers more voltage than this, the amp will shut down periodically during high demands.  Same thing if the gain is simply set too high.
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

id put my money on a loose connection.  a couple weeks ago one of my subs did that until it just totally cut out.  i took apart the box and the wire was just loose from the little connectors on the box.  redid the connection with shrink tubing and it went back to normal.  if your stereo is doing the same thing, not just the amp, id look into the main grounds.  you might even try an upgraded grounding kit for your whole electrical system. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic