icon

Sub Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rones 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hi i have installed a JL Audio 500/1 Amp with 2 12" MTX subs. They work fine most of the time but the subs will cut out, just out of nowhere and come back on right away. The amp stays on and i have checked it with a multimeter, and when the subs cut out it is not losing any power input or output. Any help would be appreciated!!!
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Id say maybe the RCA's arent connected well or something is wrong with the signal... maybe even your speaker wires are grounding out.  Id check everything top to bottom and your deck might be bad
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

how do you have the amp wired to the subs? is it bridged or stereo?

Also which MTX subs are you using? are they single voice coil or double voice coil and how are they wired up?

superstreet786 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I just looked at another post and it said maybe your battery is going dead and your deck isnt getting enough power
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
rones 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12 inch mtx thunder 6000's, with dual voice coil. Their resistance is 4 ohms each voice coil so i hooked them up in series so that the total resistance is 4 ohms. And my amp is a mono amp, it just has two positives and two negative speaker output, so that you can connect more than one speaker easily. And as for my deck not getting enough power, all the other speakers in my car which are run off it work fine and they dont shut off, just the subs.
superstreet786 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
yes but im saying if your deck isnt gettin enough power theres not enough power to send a signal to your amp
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

rones- if the subs share the same box it sounds like wiring inside.  Possibly at the jackplate terminals.

And check the connections on the speakers themselves.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, loose connections inside the enclosure sounds like a likely culprit.  That or maybe your system voltage is dipping and the amp is shutting down momentarily on low voltage.  Also check to make sure your speaker wires at the amp do not have any loose strands of wire flying out that might create a short circuit.
rones 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks for all your help, I think i have fixed it now. I found a loose terminal that was hung up on the basket of the sub so the voice coil wire was really tight. So when i turned the subs up, they couldnt move and they would quit for the low frequencies. They work fine now. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help.  You've got some nice equipment there, so enjoy your tunes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic