icon

remote bass knob?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
00neon 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
hey, i have and MTX 421D w/ the EBC knob so i can tweak the bass while driving.  my question is, its basically telephone line between the knob an the amp, so is it electrical current going through it or is it an audio signal, need to know for when i run speaker wire, its on one side of my center hump in my car so i figure i could run the speaker wire on the other side w/ no problems......any input?
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
It's a very small electrical current.  Running speaker wire next to it will not interfere.
Do it right the first time
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
pffft.  just use sub level control built into most mid-high end decks
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Most amps that come with the bass control knobs don't put out until it is connected.  The gain level is almost absent without the BCK.
Do it right the first time
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Dont use the knob... just set the gain correctly and adjust bass or sub signal through your deck, those knobs can make ur system sound like crap if u dont have em right
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

raydawg357 wrote:
Most amps that come with the bass control knobs don't put out until it is connected.  The gain level is almost absent without the BCK.
i'm not sure about most.  I had a DEI 1100d that didn't need the bass control knob...the only thing the knob allowed you to do was turn the gain down...even had that verfied by the DEI tech that frequented the sounddomain forum.  he said it was a "gain attenuator"

now we installed the Lanzar 1800d a couple of weeks ago...i set the gain by ear at the amp, then plugged in the remote bass control expecting it to be a gain attenuator...i find out later that that amp does put out different AC voltage readings with/without the bass knob plugged in.

:idunno:

00neon 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
k folks, i have my factory HU for certain reasons, that is why i  have the bass knob.  it works just fine for me, sounds great to me, i dont quit understand what the difference is between the 2 different types........anywho i just wanted to know if it was an audio signal or electrical and now i know, thanks raydawg357
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
sjunction 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

advantages: adds sub volume control independant from other speakers when no sub controls are built into radio

drawbacks: less room for future wires in sideboards, probably mounts via screws, more time lost (mainly concerning commercial installs) If the subs 'get louder' when the remote is used, I would bet the manufacturer set the amp up that way to make the remote gain appear better than what it is, and I'm not a big fan of smoke and mirrors. It is simply a knob to turn the amp down, I have never seen one with a miniturized second amp inside the remote gain box :)

need it? only if the amp will not function without it (uncommon) or if the radio (usually factory) has no sub controls built in

as far as a difference in output in amps that function with or without it.. the difference is probably so minor as to require a multimeter to accurately detect

personally I avoid them if possible as these addons often look fairly cheap and are likely only good for the life of that amp (at my shop we try to avoid screw holes whenever possible >=P ). sometimes the system balances out well enough at both high and low volumes without the need to adjust the sub levels independantly

sjunction 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
oh btw, audio signals are still electrical signals, unless you are referring to the actual sound waves still inthe air (grin)
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
almost all amps will operate without the knob because if you have more than one amp your not going to want knobs everywhere... you can leave it unplugged and adjust your gain on the amp
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic